Low boost high EGT's

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My brown truck started spooling much slower, not burning as black, and not building as much boost as it used to. The pyro literally climbs faster than the boost does, but there's little or no black smoke.
I'm not exactly sure what's causing this so throw out some theories. Could a dirty air filter cause this? Boost leak???

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air filter is the cheapest and easiest thing to look at, so it wold get checked first if it were my truck. I hope it's nothing too bad and you get it figured out. Sounds like some sort of air restriction but then you'd think you'd be dumping a lot more black smoke and no power.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea the no black smoke is what's throwing me off too. I'm gonna pull the filter and blow it out tomorrow. Its an AEM dry flow filter, about $75 and I've heard you're supposed to just blow them out when they get dirty.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like an IP problem. I know you have a moose pump which is top quality but you cant over look it.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AEM makes a cleaning kit for that filter. Mix with warm water and dunk it in a bucket- that's what they recommend.

Ryan

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, its even sounding louder than it used to. like rattling really loud, almost like the pump has advanced itself somehow. I'm gonna try to get some time this weekend to time it again. and I guess I'll post back what the results are.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ryan!
Yea I even had to haul a 28ft enclosed trailer today with the thing and it was kinda disappointing. This is the 3rd time I've hauled this trailer with this truck and it did poorly at best today. I hit 1200* EGT twice pulling into the wind with an oil temp of 215* and only 5psi boost. At times it didn't even feel like there was a trailer back there but other times it didn't have any guts at all.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
1320, I've had my moose pump for well over a year, it sat for a year in the wrapper and box in my bedroom before I even opened the bag to install it on the truck. I really hope its not a problem with the pump, I couldn't afford another Moose pump bill. lol

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POssible that that the pump may have rotated in the housing cuasing the timing to change significantly? Just a thought.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Before we jump to pumps, why dont we chack other things like, boost leaks and all the turbo connections, then if all that checks out look for other stuff,
also are you still using those diesel careless injectors?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, I would take a look at the intercooler plumbing, especially at the rubber boots and clamps, and make sure you didn't spring a boost leak. IIRC it's not all that uncommon for newly-installed boot/clamp to loosen up and leak and need to be replaced. That would also make the air/turbo noise louder, although it shouldn't affect the pump timing or anything on those lines...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A boost leak sounds like a good possibility. At the right place they will make the engine very loud. Back in the naturally aspirated days I got my air cleaner loose and man just about lost my hearing on the way home with not too much extra power to show for it.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
But any loss of boost (air) would make it smoke more. Same with a restricted air filter. Do you still have the filter minder from the 088 filter housing? I would plumb that in and rule out any possibility of the filter.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys, gonna do some work on the truck today hopefully get to checking the plumbing and fittings and pump timing and all that stuff to narrow down the possibilities. Dyoung, yea, you got me I'm still running those POS's. The thing smokes so bad on startup now its like I didn't even rebuild the motor.
Jake, I do believe I have the filter minder around here and I've always wanted to install it.
I got thinking last night, is it possible to plumb an intercooler backwards? Like there's an IN and OUT flow to the thing? If so maybe I've got a problem because I'm running this intercooler backwards to how the cummins motor would have ran it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828