loud pop, now cold idle issues

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
So here's the story, my last short haul I made with the rig to Carolina was going great till I headed home then bang, one loud pop, almost like a backfire, lots of smoke then it cleared up and ran fine. Went to start it today and it ran like it had a heavy miss and dumped black/blue smoke for about 15 min as I finished loading up for the next haul. After it warmed up (about 30min of elevated idle time 1000rpm) it was clear, no smoke and sounded good like it normally does. Question... wth heppened and what should I be looking for/ to replace. I know I have about 195k on the injectors and pump and I'm about 3k shy of 400k total miles. I need this thing to get me thru the winter till I can get it in the shop and do some other much needed repairs... any ideas?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like when my brothers 93 popped the head gasket, but his started losing water.

I guess it could've been an injector, or valve?
I'd do compression test.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With that many miles on the injecters I feel you have a bad one till it warms up. Actually its time for a new fuel system with that many miles on what you have. What you can do on the cheap for now is find the bad injecter and replace it till you can replace all of them. Star the engine cold. then loosen each injecter hard line nut one at a time listening for the cylinder that changes or barely changes. Replace that injecter and test drive it.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
yeah sounds like you have a bad/stuck injector. does your truck smell like kerosene at idle? smoke too? i have a truck that does that but when it warms up it doesn't smoke. still misses from one.

honestly id just pull them all and get new ones or pop test them first to find out if thats your problem.

Russ (TYP4) has great injectors and return line kits. ive only had one set so far but id have a few sets in stock if i had the cash

ive had a injector stick on my 1st gen 12v while hot rodding around town with some new girl white knuckled trying to hold on. 3.07s launch hard in 4-high :-D

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Well... it seems the two rear injectors on the pass side are *****, now I know I should buy quality but time and money kinda put the brakes on that... if I got some injectors from Napa for the time being would I be OK till I can afford a system from Russ?

Edit: when I cracked the lines on those two rear injectors and tightened them back up the prob instantly went away... ima let it sit over night and see how it runs in the morn. Now could it just be getting air, and causing these issues?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. Air wont cause this issue. Try this.. Remove the fuel filter and fill it with atf. Run the engine till it sounds differant. That will tell you the atf is in the pump and the injecters. Let it sit overnite. Lots of times this high detergent atf will clean a stuck pump or injecters. Its cheap and may work fine.. Any injecter will get you by till you can afford the right injecters. The beay cheapest are just that. cheap half azzed fake rebuilt pos. Nobody can rebuild an injecter and make a profit on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online

No members online now.