Lots of water in oil pan. where to start? Asking for a friend...

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend has a 92 idi and yesterday he called me upset that he now has milky oil. Crazy thing is he just drove it (8 days ago) 700 miles to florida and picked up a used rzr. Nothing seemed out of place and nothing went wrong. He changed his oil system and had 1-2 gallons of water come out. He said that he can top off the radiator wait 10-15 minutes and open the oil drain plug again and have the same amount of water come out of the oil pan!!! Is there something simple seems like a lot of coolant for cavitation or a blown headgasket. He has ran sca in it since about 2009 and has put 50-60k on the truck since then. I Gave him the advice that you all gave me and he is going to do a compression test and check for obvious things. He is suppossed to start an account here and do some reading. Just wanted him to be able to get a headstart on things.

We pulled the glow plugs after toping off the radiator. Spun it over 4 revolutions and no water anywhere. Compression check came out great all cylinders were between 415-460. Any other suggestions? Still have the same problem can top off radiator and can watch the water trickle out the oil pan. Water pump bolts possibly?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler possibly?

Yep. Don't drive it, order an oring kit and R&R the oil cooler.

If you want to try to really diagnose it, you could consider draining the oil, pulling all the glow plugs out, pressurizing the cooling system with a one of those fancy radiator cap adapters, and see where the coolant starts coming from. I'd be willing to bet you will see coolant coming out the oil pan plug pretty quickly as it sounds like you've got a pretty good leak. If you really, really want to check for cavitation, you could turn the engine over by hand and see if/where the coolant leak comes from, as in theory if you had a cavitated cylinder you should see coolant come out that glow plug hole when you get the piston to the bottom of the stroke.

If it were me, I'd ignore the paragraph above and just change/repair the oil cooler. If it was cavitation or a head gasket, it would be running/acting goofy, and you'd have probably found it during your compression test.

Just my .02 worth, good luck and get that sucker fixed ;Sweet

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I don't think it cavitation either. No need to pressure up the coolant system it runs freely to the oil pan on it own. We drained the oil left the oil plug out, topped off the radiator and can watch coolant run out the hole.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Hopefully this is a failed oil cooler o ring but I'm not holding out for that.. At least you have the right idea and can prove the coolant loss is significant. With a compression test like you have its not looking like a cracked cylinder or head gasket or head crack. but its more pointing to the oil cooler. Its time to get dirty and remove the cooler. How many miles are on the engine. the factory cooler o rings will harden and fail. mine were so hard they broke when the shop removed them 15 years ago. I was shocked at what the rubber had turned into. I thought they were made from particle board wood by the way they broke in my hands.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are just under 175k on the truck. He has had it since about 110-120k. We flushed and changed all fluids the day he got it. Good thing I have a few extra set of orings on hand. I will let y'all know how it goes tomorrow.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I don't think it cavitation either. No need to pressure up the coolant system it runs freely to the oil pan on it own. We drained the oil left the oil plug out, topped off the radiator and can watch coolant run out the hole.
Sounds like cracked block...that's sad

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like cracked block...that's sad

I'll bet you two Canadian dollars the block is OK, not that I think it's impossible, I just love the action, especially when it's "International Gambling" :D

Where's that popcorn emoticon :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did this engine see a freeze and not have enough anti freeze in the coolant to save the engine... Just wondering if thats possible the block froze and cracked.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
only way to really check this is to pull the waterpump. I have a weird gut feeling that the piece of steel between waterpump has a hole in it with how fast it drains into the block. it is only thin steel that I have found to be worn thin on a few engines. will see if I can find a pic

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

here is a severly worn timing gear cover. paper thin in spots

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to his trip to Florida it has not been below freezing then we discovered the problem. After The problem was discovered it has gotten to maybe 28 degrees. But we run 70/30 mix down here due to it never gets cold and he was running that mix when this happened. 3-5 times a year it might get into the mid to high twenties. Wow that is very possible that the timing cover has a hole or a large crack in it. We are going to change orings and go from there. I'll report back shortly.