lots of blue and white smoke in idle

rattleandhumm

Reaction score
hey i need some info on a 93 f 350 diesel 1 ton 5spd no idea on the motor size but we changed the oil in her 4 times in a row like in two days and when she is in a
idle she smokes likes theres no tomarow we ran some kinda engine flush though her ran it for 20 min or so but she sat for a yr or so now she is smoking again alot we had oil up at the air filter so i have know idea what this all means its a work truck 1 ton if u got any suggestions let me know thanks

rattleandhumm

Reaction score
hey thanks for the reply ,and no the oil level isnt going up ,coolant level is good the oil again is thick as molasses very black after only 30 miles could it be just remaning sludge from truck sitting for a yr if so any tips on cleaning out the engine thanks

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Put a quart of ATF in the oil and let the engine idle for a while. The ATF will clean it out for sure, very good detergents in it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Black oil is no bad news in an IDI. The oil at the air filter could very well be a stuck cdr (crankcase depressure regulator) that You can fix with a new cdr, not expensive. The blue smoke could be a stuck injector, time to use plenty of diesel additive (Lucas, Power service, Howe's, etc) to clean things and loosen them up a bit, do You have a new fuel filter on? The white smoke at start up sounds normal since the glow plugs could be not working and that is just a cold cylinder, but should go away a few minutes after started. Hope this helps fix the issue, I don't see anything very abnormal after so long with out running.