looking to get my hands on moose injectors

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can i get them and can i run them on a stock pump (tuned)
truck is a 91 f-350 7.3 idi non turbo and will i see big power improment

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they will work with a stock pump. Will they be worth the almost $1000 you'd spend? :dunno I don't have any dyno numbers for you. They do atomize better, but they are also designed to handle more fuel flow then your NA pump will put out, so a lot of their intended purpose would go un-utilized. If you really want a set, I can fix you up.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember your pop test video of them and they are very cool, when I build a motor hopefully in the not too distant future it will probably get Moose injectors if I can afford them and you still offer them.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
I wanting to build my idi to the max i want to make it top of the line can u help me out heard mosse best but iam not sure its a 88 7.3 let me know thanks

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert and there are plenty of guys on this forum that have more knowlage then I do but I think that if your building up an IDI a turbo is a good place to start rather than a pump/injectors. All that fuel is only good if you have the air to burn it and you cannot do that without a turbo. Even with a stock pump and Injectors you can flow more fuel then your motor can burn.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a Moose Pump you really need a turbo, and to take full advantage you need an intercooler as well. If you dump all the fuel from a Moose into the N/A 6.9 or 7.3 all you'll do is make lots of black smoke and heat. If you turbocharge you can use all your stock fuel+have room for more, maybe for what a Moose can provide. Usually once you turbo the limiting factor becomes boost. You can only put 10-12 psi to a stock 6.9 or maybe 15 to a stock 7.3 with head bolts consistently without lifting the heads. You can address this by studding the heads and using updated head gaskets. After than your limiting factor is that most of our turbos become pretty inefficient and superheat the air charge much beyond 13 psi, an intercooler wil let you stuff more air in there even with a lower absolute boost number because as we all know there is more oxygen in cooler air than in hotter air. At some point the limiting factor is the high compression ratio, you can get a bigger, more effcient turbo, you can intercool, but at some point you can only stuff so much air into a 21.5:1 compression motor before things get stressed and start to break.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Wow, that was beautiful. Would you mind if I copied that and used it elsewhere?

Spader

Rusty the Ford
Reaction score
Moose Pump

I'm new to this site but have been reading a lot elsewhere about the "moosepump" and moosemisters".

I have a 1994.4 F350 Crew Cab SRW 4x4 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel I am looking to get some more power out of.

From what I gather I am pretty limited in the aftermarket world comparing this turbo to the PSD. I see ATS has a exhaust upgrade, and I understand you can also change the turbine housing to get away from some of fords factory restrictions.

I guess my question is (and forgive me if this has already been answered) will your moose pump and moose injectors work and produce good results with the IDI Turbo?? Any heat issues??

:dunno

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
The bigger outlet and downpipe that ats sells will cool your engine down and let you stuff more fuel in there before getting to hot(refering to egts). Mels products are the best from what i heard but you have to realize that your engine has to be made compatible with the amount of fuel that his products can flow. if you already have hot egts with a stock pump i would doubt that his injectors or pump will help you at all but if you have a stock pump maxxed out and just cant seem to get your egts hot then his products are in order. It is just a jd said you have to have the air to burn the fuel otherwise you will just have a poorly tuned, hot egt running truck that really doesnt produce all that much power.

In order to understand this you have to understand the basic concept of a diesel engine. air is required to burn fuel, this process creates power. the more air you can stuff into an engine, the more fuel you can burn and-in turn- the more power you can produce. that being said mel handles the more fuel issue and you have to ensure that you can make your engine provide the air to burn that fuel

Spader

Rusty the Ford
Reaction score
Yeah - I'm still working on designing my own intake as I seem to be having a hard time finding anything from any of the aftermarket companies Ie. Banks, MBRP, K&N etc.

Unfortunately my old ford doesn't have EGT's on it yet .... guess this could be a consideration in the future. Looking at getting rid of the tight stock downpipe and more of a free flow exhaust I guess first.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I had my IP off so I turned it up and it used to smoke blackish grey a fair amount at full throttle.

When I opened up the exhaust, bigtime, it made it so I can't see any smoke now due to the increased amount of air getting in the cylinders from decreased back pressure at the exhaust valve.

I thought about it later and thought duh, it's like what, a four or five inch intake hole, then it gets expanded in the cylinders and goes out to a 2 1/2 pipe and through a muffler,,cookoo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Syco if you want to copy it feel free to. Spader most of us would consider an EGT gauge mandatory before you start messing with the fuel system. The ATS exhaust elbow upgrade helps but we've had a lot of members have problems with plumbing that is never quite right and rude customer no service from ATS. Is it worth the 500-800 bucks it costs? That depends on who you ask. I'm pretty sure Rich(aka 94F450sd) would so no way! Others here might have had a better experience. I also know some people with better welding and fab skills might try for their own solution to this proble. The root problem is as you know that crushed factory downpipe. It was a rtaher cheesy solution to the firewall clearance problem, but at that point the PSD was already soon to be or in some cases already a reality. Ford didn't care about making the 7.3 IDI turbo great, just good enough to give their diesel customers a taste of what a turbo diesel was like and hopefully soon plop down the cash for a stroker.

Spader

Rusty the Ford
Reaction score
Yeah - That's what I understand.

I just had an e-mail back from MBRP saying that their listed 1994 ++ on turbo back will bolt up to the 1994.5 IDI Turbo no problem. Installer, XP and Pro Series will all fit depending on what finish you want. Being straight from the horses mouth so to speak, I might give it a try. I just hope there is not less room on the 94.5 to fit up the pipe .... I doubt it.

sootman73

Reaction score
spader you might want to try this. i dont know if you can weld but this would be a great time to learn if you cant. or you could probably have someone else remake it if you print off the pics and the procedure.