Looking for guidance on selecting a electric fan for a 351

Reaction score
My wife drives a 1996 Ford F250 with a 5.8 (351 Windsor) and I would like to install an electric fan. I have priced brand new aftermarket ones and found a really nice set that bolts in. However, the mods I will be performing on her truck will come from a very low budget. I was hoping to locate a fan assembly from a salvage yard. Yes I will make sure they work. But mostly I want the assembly. I can get new motors at the parts store if need be. Anyhoo, I am a fan of using stock parts when I can. I would prefer to take a fan assembly from another vehicle preferable a Ford and install it. Does anyone know where and what I should look for? I have been targeting Later model full size Ford cars like the crown Vics but they all have had mechanical fans. What else would have a good fan assembly? I will try and post the measurements shortly.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Again we look to the Taurus with a 3.8L V6 for parts to steal. They have massive e-fans from the factory, something like 3500 CFM of air. Also Lincoln Mark 7/8s are reported to have awsome fans for conversions.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Taurus/Sable fans move a lot of air and should be dirt cheap. Look under the 5.0 Mustang forums and you will see a lot of people using them as a cheap conversion for more power/better fuel economy.

The Mark IIIV fan is better: moves more air and draws less current, supposed to be a super efficient Siemens motor, but they are harder to find (read more expensive).

Good luck whichever way you go ;Sweet

Reaction score
I just finished up some research. I agree the Lincoln is a good choice. Consider we haul loads with this gasser, I need somehting that will move more air than the Taurus fan.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember: nothing will move as much air as a good mechanical fan, but Mel has done pretty well with two electrics on an IDI (have a look at his thread), and 351s don't get that hot in comparison to say a 460.

I'd get a good temp gage and do some before and afters with a $15 Taurus fan, but I'm a glutton for punishment :rolleyes:

Reaction score
You are correct. That is why my Powerstroke still has a mechanical fan. (although I am working on something to change that has well.) I am mostly looking for better fuel mileage and freeing up a little more power. We have not had any cooling issues yet, but I still want to make the change.

Reaction score
I hit some local yards today and I think I found the right fan. It is out of a late 90's police car. I found two other that look just like it in two 1998 Mark 8's. but nothing on those cars were for sale. There was not much left on the police car so I do not know for sure what it was. But the fan with the coolent reservoir mounted on top was from what I could tell identical to the 98's.