Looking for good programmer

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
http://www.edgeproducts.com/products.php?car_motor_key=143&category_key=all

There are 2 Edge Evo products. The first generation is a hand held programmer and looks like this:
You must be registered for see images

The second generation can display the readings and looks like this:

The Juice with Attitude Monitor looks much the same:

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Is the Edge juice with attitude a good one I assume? I might have the option of buyin a used one. How much they worth used? I mainly want it for fuel mileage.

wpfd571

Reaction score
I would stay away from the so called name brand tuners (Banks, Bully Dog, Diablo and Edge) I would look at custom tuners (Beans, DP, TWildman, Swamps etc.) they may cost more up front but you will be much happier in the end. All the big names are very generic tunes. I made the mistake with a Diablo Predator cause it was a "good deal". If there is one place not to go cheap its in the tuning of your truck

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The whole thing depends on what you want from your truck. If you're not expecting to run dyno competitions and truck pulls then you may not need the added expense of a custom tune. Heck if you don't need something to pull engine codes then you don't need a tuner at all. Their only benefit is to help with diagnostics.

So assuming you need a programmer then the Edge and Predator are probably the tops and they're reasonably priced. If you don't need a programmer you can go with a reprogrammed chip (multi-position preferred) which will cost you about the same.

As far as the over the counter tunes being junk, that's just preposterous. They are developed and designed to give a good performance gain in the majority of trucks out there. The Edge Evo that I had, while not a race track king, had great power characteristics for a wide range of conditions and scenarios.

wpfd571

Reaction score
So how do you get a custom tuner?

You should get on more of a powerstroke site like superdutydiesel.com or powerstrokenation.com (sorry guys oilburners is more of a idi site) and do some reading.
Its not only the power you can get with a custom chip its that they can get you more power at lower egt's, with less smoke, and what they can do with the trans. And trust me you will be amazed at the difference in a off the shelf chip/tuner and a custom tune once you get one

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
You should get on more of a powerstroke site like superdutydiesel.com or powerstrokenation.com (sorry guys oilburners is more of a idi site) and do some reading.
Its not only the power you can get with a custom chip its that they can get you more power at lower egt's, with less smoke, and what they can do with the trans. And trust me you will be amazed at the difference in a off the shelf chip/tuner and a custom tune once you get one

"Power" is the result of increasing fuel delivery quantity, rate, and RPM. All of those variables effect how the power is felt. Adding fuel will cause EGTs to rise no matter the case. If you want to add power and lower your EGTs then get upgrades to air intake, intercooler, exhaust, water/****/nitrous injection, etc. Adding fuel will cause more smoke depending on the flow profile. A programmer, chip, etc. will not effect anything with the trannie other than electronic tuning i.e. a slight adjustment in shift firmness, shift points, etc.

None of those are necessary upgrades unless you're looking to make monster power in which case you'll need beau-coup $ for all the stuff that will break. The OP stated he's not looking to make huge power numbers so there's no real need to discuss custom anything. The power that can be had form a regular off the shelf programmer would fit him just fine and save him some money as well.

Oh and there are quite a few folks on here who've turned wrenches on any model Powerstroke made as well as most other oil burner out there. SDD is a great site as well. Saying that the OP will not get good information from this site is preposterous.

wpfd571

Reaction score
I never said he wont get good info here. I was just trying to get him more info from many other people who have asked the same question. I am just giving my opinion on the tuning, you can take it in one ear and out the other for all i care. I have been in many tuned trucks and for the money i will always go custom on tuning from now on there is no comparison to the two, and they dont cost much more than an off the shelf part.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about the edge evolution. I know im gonna be spendin some money no matter what route I go. Cheaper the better. I got to get my gauges first before I get anything though. Theres tons of good info here. Yea there are other sites for just the superdutys but i dont want to go anywhere else, this is my home now! Yall have helped me out so damn much. Thanks to everyone! We all burn oil and thats what matters!

DMcV

Reaction score

aaklingler

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about DP NOT being good and the motors with there tunes going BOOM from to much timing. I'd go with power hungry performance or total diesel performance or beans diesel