Looking for filter ideas..

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I got myself a 93 F250 with the 7.3 in it.. I intend on running it on WMO, but would like to install an extra wmo filter somewhere. Even filtering down to 5 microns, I tend to clog fuel filters on a semi-regular basis.

Seeing as how fuel filters for the 7.3 run about $25-$30 I'd like to put a spin-on somewhere that it will be easily accessible. That way, I can swap one of them and hopefully save a few bucks..

What would be a good choice for a filter and where would I get my hands on one? Where would you guys suggest I mount it?

Gary

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna use an auxilliary transmission filter base that uses a Ford 1-A oil filter. They're avalible from Summit for about $30. (last time I got one) and they have a port for a temp gauge probe. I'm gonna heat my tank so this way I can keep an eye on temps.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
1) Stock diesel filters don't do well with WVO
2) Is the WVO hot enough in the fuel bowl?
3) PHO oil tends to clog stock filters faster than refined oils do.
4) Water in your oil will clog a filter much faster than dry oil with sediment.

If your oil has been properly de-watered, is NOT partially hydrogenated, is filtered to 5 microns and is hot enough around your stock filter it will work. I don't think adding another filter is your solution unless you stop using the stock filter for WVO and add another one solely for WVO and the stock filter solely for diesel.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about an FL-1A ford filter? Will that filter the oil enough?

Yeah thats what I'm talkin about. It is good enough for engine oil and I filter my fuel to 1 micron so its basicly gonna be a prefilter and its way cheaper than a fuel filter, $3.00 vs $20.
My thought is that it will plug first from water contamination so I should get more life from my factory fuel filter.

Albin

Reaction score
This might help with both your questions:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/memberstuff/al/PPF_2008-02-25.pdf

On top of page 4 is a partial extract of an Excel file I have that compares 55 fuel filters for thread size, nominal rating, size, and whether or not it has a water separator drain plus each filters respective filter head. Attached is the .pdf version of this Excel file. The problem with the .pdf is that you can't sort for different filter attributes like the Excel file can.

If anyone wants a copy of the fuel filter comparison Excel file, please PM me an e-mail address.

Good luck.

Al

Attachments

• Fuel Filter Comparison Chart 08-08-08.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 14