Looking for Advice/ Input

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have a '95 SC F250 PSD, ZF5, 4wd D50, 4.10, with 281,*** miles. The truck, I'm certain, is sound but needs some routine maintanence considering age and millage. It's my daily driver and I have no worries. It's a pretty good looking truck, also, without rust and pretty straight except for a few dents.
I'm pretty happy with this truck, especially if I could get all of the maintenance done I would have no doubt it would be a great truck.
However, I'm not completely satisfied with the truck. What I'm convinced that I really want is a diesel, 4wd, manual, SRW, F350 SC or 4 door. I have a preference for the SC but the 4 door fits my life better.
While I duo strongly favor my familiarity with my current truck the question I keep asking myself is this:
Sure my truck can be built to what I want, but is it really worth the work when what I want fully existed from the factory?

Further, I don't currently have the money to buy another truck, even with trade value, so if I did get a different truck it would have to be a straight across trade for all intents and purposes. Yet, I certainly realize my ideal truck has a higher value then my current truck. Also, there is a considerable amount of inherent risk with any new used truck. I would definitely have no issue "trading down" to a IDIT.
Anyways, if you've struggled through my meandering this far I'll get to the point.
Do you think I should stick with my truck and work my way through the considerable modification/ fabricating to make my truck the way I want it, eventually. My mechanic skills are capable but very inexperienced and my fab skills don't exist, though I do have resources.
Or
So you think I'd be better served looking for an F350 SRW?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Why do you think you need a 350 over a 250?
Chip it and you'll be satisfied for awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see any down side to having the extra capabilities of a SRW 350. A DRW is ridiculous as a daily driver unless you are daily hauling heavy trailers. The drive train is the same so there's no loss in fuel mileage with a SRW 350.
Most particularly, though, is I want the solid front axle.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I'd just d60 swap yours then.
Technically is more rotating mass for a DRW. Rather substantial or not, I don't know.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first things first.
is it mandatory for a 4 door?
i myself would rather have a 4 door than a single cab.
i would even trade the psd for a IDIT crew cab.

as someone thats done this work, with fab skills, it is alot of work, not to mention the truck being down for months.
i would throw it on craigslist as a trade for a IDI crew cab. even if it was a N/A truck.

you may find that 1 person that has what you want that wants a PSD.
if youre on a budget the IDI will be alot easier on your pocket!

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my goal when I got into diesel pickups was to have an IDI, and my first truck was an IDI NA, 2wd, automatic. The 2wd automatic definitely didn't suit me. I do know for most people the PSD would hold a higher value, and I'm perfectly fine with the IDI and in some ways would prefer an IDI (as you cited, cheaper on the pocket book).
I found this PSD for a crazy deal, and it is 5Spd 4wd, which is definitely what I wanted/ needed. I definitely like the truck but it's just not everything that I want in my forever truck, which is what I'm seeking.
Likewise, I really can't afford for my truck to be down, not now at least. Its my daily, we only have two vehicles, and I do consistently need a truck because I'm also building a house which means transporting materials.

I need at least and super cab prefer the super cab, but realistically the crew cab fits my life style better (four children I do occasionally have to ferry about). A single cab doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
find a IDI crew cab without engine or dirt cheap and build it a little at a time.
thats what i would do/did
and then i slipped and conceived twins... "ahh hell now i gotta add 2 more doors"LOL

there are deals to be had.
hell im about to give away a crew cab!

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reckon I could always throw it out there and see if the perfect situation comes by. I don't have to get rid of the truck.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might just try and get a half ton so I could then shut this truck down and do the work. Either way, I'm not hurting to do anything immediately.
Thanks for the replies.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that I doubt I could eventually accomplish the work, but the stress that's been on when I've done work to the truck that shuts it down that has me gun shy of doing the work on this truck that I want to do.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Long as you don't need 4x4 daily, you could easily swap the axle in a day, then do the rest later. Though not much left once the axle is in.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have been throwing around the idea of trying to find a truck I could to trade my truck for. Sitting right in front of me my landlord has a 99 F350 4wd he's trying to sell.
Now, I'm not 100% on the shape it's in and it's not the ideal truck, but I'm pretty sure it's in decent condition. They do drive it every day.
It being automatic and DRW is the least ideal part of it for my preference.

That does lead me to one more question though. How expensive and labor intensive is it to do a single wheel conversion.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you would need a SWR bed, and a SWR axle.......

Labor.... bed and axle swap..... being in the south, you shouldn't have an issue with rust in removing parts....

Cost, all depends.... you may have to buy a bed and an axle, or you could find someone that is wanting to go from SWR to DRW, and you could just do a swap........

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it didn't involve a full axle swap. Maybe that's just the front?
It already has a flat bed on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online