Looking for a PMD (Pump Mounted Driver) or FSD (Fuesl Solenoid Driver)

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
As we talked about in 95 stroker's thread and "Spindrift" was kind enough to share what the name of the part I was talking about and it just so happens Dad's is burning out again. It has stalled on him a few times and doesn't like to get hot. Is there a place where we can order one of these to get him up and running again? I don't know how these fandangled electronic motors run, would a power module replace this oem product? Or is it something that runs inline with the oem module? I was going to give Piers a call on Mondee to see if he carries them.
Dad says that Stanadyne made the one he has on there now.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey man,
The PMD you can get almost anywhere.
(I'm not saying "to not get it from Piers")
I think most come from your side of the
49th anyways ;) Replacing it with one that
is remote mounted (on a cooling fin) would be
a good idea as well. It's the heat that kills them.
And it's also easier to change if you don't have
to pull the one off the pump first. Have you seen
where they hid the PMD on that thing? cookoo

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a PITA the first time. He's on the 3rd one in about 60k miles. #2 and #3 were the relocated version with the heat sink. About 180k on it now.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Quick update - after calling several auto parts places here in town and 2 retailers of the PMD, either they had no idea of what the part was or they had them and wanted a first born for it. So I told Dad, lets give PDR a call. Sure 'nuff he had 4 in stock and at about 1/2 of what the other places had them for. Of course my cheap Dad says he wants to call one more place he knows of and see if he can get it cheaper. Well he couldn't get ahold of them so I said, lets call PDR back and get one on order. So I called back and I had been talking with Mark, but he was on another line, so I'm on hold waiting and suddenly Piers picks up and wants to know how to help me. ( I get all verclempt for a sec) then explain what Mark and I had been talking about. Piers began to explain there are three things that could be the problem. One is the PMD, but he thought it was wierd that we already had the relocation kit and it still burned out on us, so he said there is a optical filter inline right before the wires go into the inj. pump. He stated the truck will run without the filter and to try taking it out and testing. If this is the problem, it's only a $40 dealer part and he saved us the $250 PMD (PDR price ;Sweet )
Dad was going to try it this AM, so I'll post back the results.
3rd plan is going to be major pump work, which we'll just do a pump swap with Piers!
I got so excited I ordered up a 16CM exh. housing, which are on sale this month!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Did ya get your dad's problem sorted out? If you didn't I guess there is a new product out to replace the pump driver on the electric pumps. I think it is called SOLD or something and made by a company called Remarq I think. It's just another alternative to a crapily designed part in the first place, but if it doesen't cost much more I guess it might be worth a try. Just thought I'd share that with ya if Piers didn't get ya fixed up.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
We pulled the optical filter out of the loop and so far the problem hasn't come back. Dad works for me right now and we live in the same 'hood so he hasn't gone too far with it this week. We're meeting in town for breakfast this morning, so it'll have time to really warm up. Thanks for the add'l site and advise. I'll report back.