Looking at upgrading

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To a better brand of Truck..... :D

I have 2 Ford's as of current.

I have a 99 F-350 powerstroke, and a 94 F-250 IDI with a banks sidewinder, and quiet frankly, I am sick of Ford. The powerstroke is a good motor, as well as the IDI. In fact, both are mechanically perfect trucks. Im just sick of Ford. So they both are going to get the boot.

I had a 97 Dodge 2500 with the 12V (obviously). Loved it to death. Lifted, tons of aftermarket power/suspension/sound upgrades. Had to sell it to go to school though.

Well, now I am back in the market, looking for another Dodge to get back to a real engine. :thumbsup:

I am leaning towards the 24V because i can get one with 4 doors, and a short box. I prefer manual, but I think i am going to have to go with Auto because the ol' lady will be bombing around in often. She can drive a manual fine, but i don't trust her on snow and ice with one. Hell I hardly trust her with an Auto on snow and Ice cookoo :D

Here are my questions:

What are some big things i should watch out for when looking into the 24V's?
Tranny? Are these tranny's very good? Am i going to be driving around wondering when its going to go out on me?

I don't plan on any programmers, but i will be doing all kinds of airflow improvements, and possibly a banks big head wastegate actuator. I am not looking for insane power, but I can't ever seem to leave well enough alone. :D

Will the auto trannys be ok for these moderate power upgrades?

Gauges always go in my diesels first, and right now I would plan on: trans temp, EGT's, Boost, but according to you guys here, fuel PSI is pretty important too?

Also what is the deal with everyone going through lift pumps? what do those cost to replace?

What else do I need to know?

Stay away from the "53" blocks, correct?

Learn me on 1998-1999 24 valve equiped dodges!!!!

Oh, and this is by far the best site for diesel trucks around, bar none.

:hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail

rubberfish

Reaction score
You answered all your own questions. :)
Except for the lift pump price.
Stock replacement is $230ish cdn. $200 or so US ?????
And yes, your trans will accept airflow mods,
and or a box on level 3, or the equivalent of 60hp.
After that, I've heard it becomes expensive. :eek: :eek:
The joys of owning a slushbox I guess. :puke: :puke:
Lynda drives a stick in her 4Runner, and does very well. ;Sweet
In my truck, she's a bit different, almost circus like. :rotflmao

p.s. Welcome to Oilburners.

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
British columbia eh? My sister is getting married to a guy from B.C. From Kelowna? does that sound right? Anyways, thanks for the welcome!!!

rubberfish

Reaction score
Is she moving to Kelowna then?
That's a nice looking part of the province.
A little too warm for my liking in the summer though.
I'm down on the coast. Right around Vancouver.
Not Vancouver Island, but the city on the mainland.
Sorry, not trying to steer your thread off to left field.

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries about the hijack, it was my fault anyways. :D

No, him, my sister, and I went to school together in MT. He lives in Denver, CO now. She just quit her job up on the North Slope to move back down to Denver.

tyjax

Reaction score
Get ahold of an international dealer or cummins dealer in your area and ask for the campaign kit. It includes the lift pump, pressure sending unit, and the wiring harness for a warning light. Cummins part #4090046. Cost me a little over $100, some getting them for as low as $65! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger