Looking at this 96 F250 4wd 5spd

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the fuel gauge didn't read right, it ran all of the way up to the peg and stayed there.
That would be a break in the circuit between the gauge and the sender. Possibly the selector valve; the gauge circuit runs through it. Did this happen on both tanks?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to the other tank. I've no idea if there is any fuel in the tank but I know I did, personally, put 5 gallons into the front tank as that was the tank it was on. When I switched to the rear tank the gauge went to empty but it never sputtered or quit running. I only left it there long enough for the gauge to stop moving as I was worried it might be empty and figured it could pick up trash.
To sum up, I switched to the rear rank and the gauge went to empty

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I expected.
Is there anything to consider about the hard starting. The wife said when he was starting it sparingly that he often hard a time getting it started and would use ether. That certainly concerns me more.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
That's what I expected.
Is there anything to consider about the hard starting. The wife said when he was starting it sparingly that he often hard a time getting it started and would use ether. That certainly concerns me more.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. He probably had a hard time starting it because of his fuel leaks, and that mechanical pump doesn't do you any favors when it comes to re-priming the fuel bowl.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's something I thought (hoped) it might be.
At this point I'm not eliminating the truck for purchase just trying to get an idea of what I might be getting into while fixing it right. There doesn't "seem" to be anything major wrong with it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Anybody have any links to installing an electrical fuel pump?
And the fuel gauge didn't read right, it ran all of the way up to the peg and stayed there.

I plan on going the mark fuga route. Fuel Pump and Filter Package: http://youtu.be/ku15mGaBSPw
He's a member on psn, but I'm banned so I can't link you to him on there. Lol

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think Lindstrom has some of his older stuff.
But I don't know if he got around to installing it yet. Lol

I definitely like the idea of a stock super duty pump, as you can find one at any parts store.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Yeah, I have Mark Fuga's second version of his e-fuel kit. The only extra thing you need to buy with his kit is the filter setup and fuel pump. Everything else is included and bolt-on ready. Still not installed on my truck yet, but I'm going to use a stock Super Duty pump.

Oh, and yes, your IDI sending unit will work in the PSD. They're the exact same thing.