Looking at getting e pump.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm looking at upgrading to a electric fuel pump.
My stock mechanical pump doesn't seem to be doing it's job anymore and has a mind of it's own about when you have fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure at idle is about 4psi and will drop to 1-0 psi under moderate acceleration or wot.
And sometimes (especially after a hard run) it will idle at 1 psi and drop with any throttle.
Now I would say it was my gauge just being funky but there is a noticeable difference in power smoke and boost between the two different readings.
And my mileage has been steadily getting worse even with new ip and injectors.

Wich has me thinking. If I'm going to replace my fuel pump anyways I'm going to put an e pump on.
I like the idea of being able to prime especially after a fuel filter change or having the return lines off. Few extra ponys and hopefully get my mileage back some. Also like the idea that I will be able to set it at 7psi and it will stay there no matter how much throttle I give it.
Wich leads me here. What pump do I want to use? I've been researching for the past week now on this subject and have came to the conclusion that I do NOT want a Holley pump.
I've heard good things About the faucet pump and I liked what wmoguy just set up.
Any help her or personal experices will be very apreciated.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read alot of story's of them only lasting a few months at a time until they finally got a decent pump.
That and I also saw where it wasn't recommend for any WMO Wich I just got a line on to start running.(hopefully lol)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Holley Red has failed for mant on this forum. I ran them for years. Probably 150,000 miles on one of them. When it failed the brushes wore out the copper armeture surfasce beyond repairs. So I installed my spare red. It didn't last but about 8 months and it failed the same way. So I installed a Carrier transcold. The same type found on the refer units on all big rig trailers. Mush better made and its for diesel. Seems Holley has moved the pump department to mexico and the quality of the product has gone down. So if your running an older pump that may have been on the shelf then you got a good one. But the newer ones are not worthy. I'm so happy with my Carrier that I don't even carry a spare...

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary.
It's those post that drive me away from the Holley pumps and mOre towards a carrier pump, faucet pump or picking up some kind o other pump like say for a superduty and regulating it down to the low pressure our idis need.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
general lightning has the pump you want for the ebst price IIRC. I got mine from him, its a facet duralift something or other with 7-9psi output i think

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the correct pump, and yea Genlightning sells them for around $80 dollars if i remember, not positive if that price has changed.

I did a writeup when I installed mine

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...tric-fuel-pump-on-your-IDI-PICS!!!&highlight=

Pro's

My RPMS are lower at highway speeds, seems to have improved mileage..

Durable, can clean the screen when dirty to save filters

definently worth doing

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you order the one from GenLightning? Not too long ago I got mine from him for like 80 or 90 shipped to my door and I had it in just a couple days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin