Looking at buy 6.0 possibly

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 04 with 6.0 no rust at all, one owner, 6sp 4x4, with 198K miles. Was told motor is still all stock. It's a basic model with bench seats, window cranks, it does have AC and cruise. they're asking $9K for it.
I don't know much about the 6.0 except horror stories.

Do you think this would be a good buy? what should I look for when I'm checking it out?

Thanks in advance

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the report on the truck from your Ford Dealer. Bring them the VIN and they will run the Oasis Report for free. This will tell you what Ford knows about this truck. Then check out the maintenance. Diesel engines love a good oil change schedule. Good Luck!

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks DaveBen.

I at one point in time had 5 idi's at once.

I still have my crew cab in my avatar. Which is going through a rebuild process. Taking it down to frame, swapping to a DT360, still in the air on which tranny (auto or manual) if I stick with the auto it will have a Allison 6spd transmission. Which is the way I'm leaning towards.

I figure the truck be down probably 3 years during this process. Got to get something to haul my camper with. Lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

If it is truly all stock, I'd say go for it...... If no tuner and had good maintenance, you should be good to go. Being a 6 speed manual, that is a fairly rare truck.

If it's fairly local, I might be able to take a look at it with you.... just let me know.

I will tell you, one you get a taste of 6.0 power, you will get hooked. I've had mine 11 years and it still gives me a smile!!!!

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in Ohio. 10hr bus ride. Believe it said 4+hr drive time.