looked at a truck

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Here in town. It's a 92 crew cab super duty with a couple of issues:

1. Used to have a service box on it. Now there's none. I'd like to put a regular box on, but it's a cab and chassis truck. What will fit?
2. PO cut the tail end of the frame off for the above service box. Cuts were made about 2" behind spring shackles. Just guessing, but I'd probably have to remove the fuel tank so that I could adequately reinforce the frame for new frame rails and bumper mounts.
3. PO pulled zf5 for an auto. I couldn't get it to go into gear. Sales manager mentioned something about the torque converter draining if it sits for an extended time. I didn't get under to check which tranny but the steering column had an "overdrive off" button on the gear shifter, however the IP had a vrv valve on it.
4. Wouldn't start for squat even though it was 45 degrees. Probably glow plugs.
5. 180K on the odo. Where do I get coolant additive test strips?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sounds like alot of work Barn.
Hopefully as Mel said that the price is right.
I've think I still have some strips left if need be I can drop em snail mail for ya.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If... As you posted about the trans.. It sounds like it has a C6 by the injection pump vacuum control but the gear shift lever tells us that its an E4OD. It will only be an E4OD in that year truck unless someone changed it. That would be going backwards too. Check the motor serial numbers and post them here. They will tell you what year the motor is. As for the torque converter draining down, yes that can happen but. That only happens when the check valve fails in the rear trans fluid return line fitting in the rear line on the trans. Sounds like someone really did some changes from standard to auto but what type is still up for debates. Keep us in the loop...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know jack about the bed :dunno .......... but the front clip of a '95 F-SuperDuty bolted right up to my '86. If it is really, really cheap.........I'd say go for it.........but it sounds like a heck of a project to say the least.

You should be able to get Fleetguard stips at any local IH or Cummins dealer.

Heath

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big rig fleet parts shops usually stock the coolant test strips, should be anyplace that sells Luberfiner.

+1 on the lots of work, hopefully you get it for a super deal.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Barney, IIRC the Cab and Chassis trucks wheel base is different than a pick up. The axle is placed further back on the frame. So you would have to use a flat bed of some sort. But I'm not sure if they made a cab and chassis in a crew cab.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know they made a crew cab superduty in 1992.

The trans description sounds like a drainback problem. A nusance more than anything else. You basically have to idle the truck for a minute or so before the transmission will go into gear.

The shifter doesn't mean that it has an E4OD transmission. Since that era of truck only came with E4OD automatics, the shifter for automatic would have to have an overdrive cancel switch, but its probably not hooked up to anything. The VRV on the IP really sounds like some one transplanted a C6 3 speed in there. I would personally rather have an E4OD unless the truck spends all of its life below 50 MPH.

Its not the type of project I would go for, but it depends on what you have in mind and the price.

Oh, and +1 on the testing strips from napa, be sure to request the type that can measure PH levels.