long haul..Im in luv with a van!!

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well fellas I FINNALY got a long haul with her yesterday..(85 E250 6.9 C6)..I have a 1750lb 18ft trailer...towed out with a 2wd ranger on the back...got on the expressway...(my enterance ramp going west is STEEP uphill)..took a bit to get to 65 (bout 3/4 mile STEEP uphill..) and set the cruise at 65..

WOW..

seemed to do close to the 460 does haulin a heavy load...so it'll probably be a little slower with the sploder onboard (heavy truck with all the mod's)

I drove 250 out and back total..and wasnt even saddle sore!!!

I've decided a few things...

1. its stayin 2wd for now...(till/if the tranny pukes)...too nice a ride!!
2. Needs an overdrive unit...
3. could use a turbo..

it handles great..even a few emergency stops and the trailer tracked right with the van..nothing un-expected....the addition of a weight dist hitch will help..but might not be needed...

the Kid LOVED being able to move around a bit..but mostly sat upfront with me and played roadtrip games...

5hrs in the saddle (had a stopover to help my sis move some stuff with help from the trailer...)...and still feel good!!;Sweet

so now I need..

AN OVERDRIVE for a 2wd C6
and
TURBO for 6.9...whatcha got?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to contact Warwagon about this. He has an E350 that he put a turbo in and an overdrive unit in. He doesn't post here often but I will be talking to him tonight and will advise him of thos post. In the meantime send him a PM.

I know its a total different animal putting a turbo on a van than the F series trucks. He was suggesting a turbo on mine but that was before he seen the AC lines etc going to the rear. If you dont have AC in the back it could be done. If you do as long as the hoses are not routed like mine it is possible.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, nice to see another vanner.
Let me tell you what I've learned about the turbo situation. Banks is no longer making a van turbo, last I checked (about a month ago) they had most of 1 system left, and they offered to make the missing parts for me. I think it was about $2700 or so.
Apparently Hypermax does a van turbo and their site lists it, but I haven't actually called them yet.
Jay

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another van convert eh? My first vehicle was a '72 Chev van back when I was 14(Kansas). Drove it, used it, abused it for 4 years. I really liked it. Fast forward many years later and I'm back in a van, an '87 E350 4x4. I'm wanting to dieselize it but it runs so nice as is right now I'm going to wait and do it after another diesel project gets finished.

Ken

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres some pix just for the envy factor...

and it does have dual AC..;Sweet but the lines have been already partially moved...so its fairly clear...

attachment.php

attachment.php

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, either I have a Hypermax kit or that is an ATS kit. Mine looks identical to that. Thats an ATS set up.

I love mine. Was super simple to install. Actually way easier on a van than a pickup truck.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can see the Banks van kit is the non gated turbo, with a different pressure box that doesn't have the filter housing cast in, and a remote mounted air filter. I've actually seen a Banks setup on e-bay not too far back that had both pressure boxes.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres some pix just for the envy factor...

and it does have dual AC..;Sweet but the lines have been already partially moved...so its fairly clear...

No envy factor here...I love my dually van. More stable going around curves than a single wheel van and when towing my camper I don't need any anti sway units because there is no sway even when a tractor trailer passes.

Attached for your viewing pleasure.

By the way I spoke with Mark AKA Warwagon. He has an ATS turbo setup and a US Gear over drive. He bought the ATS of of ebay and I am sure he did the same with the OD. The ATS setup is the same turbo that would be used on the F series trucks with the exception of the plumbing which is van specific. You may want to contact ATS to see if the have any van plumbing on the shelf or even if thery make it anymore or look for a van specific setup on ebay or elsewhere unless of course you want to spend 3K for new.

Attachments

• Compu Doc.jpg
    Compu Doc.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No envy factor here...I love my dually van. More stable going around curves than a single wheel van and when towing my camper I don't need any anti sway units because there is no sway even when a tractor trailer passes.

Attached for your viewing pleasure.

By the way I spoke with Mark AKA Warwagon. He has an ATS turbo setup and a US Gear over drive. He bought the ATS of of ebay and I am sure he did the same with the OD. The ATS setup is the same turbo that would be used on the F series trucks with the exception of the plumbing which is van specific. You may want to contact ATS to see if the have any van plumbing on the shelf or even if thery make it anymore or look for a van specific setup on ebay or elsewhere unless of course you want to spend 3K for new.

yup...I thought about doing a dually to my old crewcab...but a dual rear wheel wont fit through the doors I have on the garage (nothin a saw-zall and wider door wouldnt fix)

gotta love the ambulaces....great campers!!

Thanks for contactin Warwagon for me...I think that settles it as far as what kits to use...

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with ATS. I was treated like a red headed step child trying to get parts for the older kits.

I agree, dually vans are the only way to fly...

You must be registered for see images attach

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with ATS. I was treated like a red headed step child trying to get parts for the older kits.

I agree, dually vans are the only way to fly...

JEZUS!!!! I thought my crewcab longbed was friggin HUGE....that thing must turn like a school bus!!

very nice...UBER-clean...and those are the LONGEST runningboards I've ever seen!! :hail :hail

oh...and Im USED to being treated like a red-headed stepchild... :D

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love that Centurion!!! Is the bed standard 8ft'r? I would love to find one of those and swap it with my flatbed.....Very Sweet hauler!!!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That van is beautifull! :love:

I doubt it is longer than a crew cab dually though. Probably the same chassis.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Std. 8 ft bed. I like the look of this one, the later models had alot of "gingerbread" hanging off of them on the outside. Or maybe they all did and this one has had it removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer