lock out hubs...

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
So, every wet morning when pulling out of my drive I have to lock my hubs in and then pull over to unlock them.-cuss How harmful is it to keep the hubs locked in all the time? Or at least until I get to work. Work is about 40 miles and half highway(75mph+). Don't all the newer 4x4s have these "automatic" hubs that are nothing better than having our old school hubs locks in all the time?

Thanks!

zpd307

Reaction score
locked hubs dont hurt anything other than your fuel mileage. come winter time, i usually leave them locked in if there is any sign of crappy weather or roads.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
The '89's are free for now....the weather hasn't got too bad yet. I still dont have a MPG figure yet and I've had the truck since june! :eek:

But once the white stuff falls, they're locked 24/7 and I won't even calculate MPGs :sly

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
I know it hurts your fuel milage. I probably lock/unlock mine a dozen times a day feeding cattle when its muddy. I cant stand leaving them locked in when I dont need them. Snow packed roads are the only time Ill leave them locked and my fuel milage sucks.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how much it really hurts fuel mileage. If my auto hubs ever go bad I will put manuals on and do the test myself. Average a few tanks unlocked and a few tanks locked. I seems to me that my engine already has to push an 8,000 lb truck around, a little extra drivetrain turning as I go down the road shouldn't have too much of an effect. Unless there's something I'm missing.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
in my 10 years of leaving my hubs locked all winter on IDI and PSD trucks i have noticed approx. 1 mpg difference.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I will use 4x4....and then forget to unlock them. Milage drops about 1mpg. It also seems to be slower but that just might be me LOL.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once Old Man Winter hits for sure, I lock them in and leave them there. I lock them naturally when I go off pavement to play, but I also run them off and on just to keep things moving throughout the non-snow months.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that I'm in the middle of an axle swap project, I am now quite familiar with the Dana44 and it's Ford and Chevy versions. One thing I would consider if your going to run with locked hubs a lot, especially on an old truck, would be to pull the spindle and repack the stub axle needle bearings. You could also check and refresh your U-joints if needed. It's been my observation that these are items which NEVER get any attention for the life of a truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726