Location of Rubber Return Lines?

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to crack an injector line to get my 1989 E350 van to start after it sat overnight. I then found a big leak in the rubber return line hose near the transmission bell housing, so I replaced the hose. I am wondering if there are any other rubber return line hoses that might need to be replaced?

The rubber hose near the bell housing connects to steel tubing at the frame, so I aim assuming steel tubing runs along the frame to the fuel tanks, but I bet there are rubber hoses that connect the steel tubing to the tank selector valve. I also suspect there are rubber hoses that connect the the selector valve to the tanks.

I recently replaced the return lines that go to the injectors using a kit I purchase, so I am assuming all the return lines near the engine have been changed, but I am not sure about that.

Any help other than recommending that I stick a sock filled with cat litter in the return lines to absorb any leaking fuel will be appreciated.

Thanks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point......

One, ths is a van and a bit different animal.

Two, He is asking ALL the places there could be rubber return lines, in a van. He believes he has replaced all the return line on the engine connecting the injectors. He is looking for other places outside the engine compartment.

Like the rubber one in the supply side at the front of the engine/frame... Olives.... does the van have a different system once you leave the back of the engine...... I'm sure in some ways it does....

Could there be O-Rings elsewhere, like at the FSV, or the tanks? Maybe it a "plastic" line somewhere........

I've worked on vans, just not a diesel van......... maybe one of the van guys has some ideas..........

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the fuel lines have olives to seal, and as they age they can let air in. Olives resemble a short length of fuel line and are compressed when the fitting is tightened. Some return line kits come with olives. The line from the fuel filter to the injection pump has an olive on each end. The hard line off the top of the IP has one, as well as the fitting at the rear of this hard line where the two banks of return lines come together and where the hose you replaced goes back to the tank. The inlet to the fuel filter has one also, size 3/8". All the others are 5/16". Check the fuel hose feeding the lift pump if you still have the mechanical lift pump. Do '86 vans have the same fuel/water separator that the 6.9 trucks have? They were a common source of air intrusion, and also have fuel lines and hose clamps that can get old and leak or let air in.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. . . Do '86 vans have the same fuel/water separator that the 6.9 trucks have? . . .
Yes, but I am working on an 89 van. 89s don't have a separate separator. The separator is built in to the fuel filter.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 89 is starting good now, but there might be some other rubber hoses or o-rings that need to be changed. When I part out the 86, I will find probably find out complete information. I have a factory manual from ebay. I should probably look in that too.

Last edited: