Little help please.

LoganS

Reaction score
So I’ve looked all over the net and am having trouble finding my exact issue. I’m sure it’s there but it’s frustrating wading through 100’s of posts on many forums for specific situation. My research over the last few weeks has pointed me to this forum as the go to place for IDIs. So here I am and any help would be appreciated Now on to my specific issue. My old 300 finally died after roughly 400k miles and I hadn’t had a diesel since I was 19 years old (late 30s now). So I decided to get an idi because I think they are fun (loved my 6.9) I got on here and read a bunch of the newbie stuff and searched Craigslist and Facebook (shudder) for a truck. After a 3 week search I decided on a 1990 F250 extended cab 4x4. Unfortunately it’s automatic but it was the best truck in the price range I set for myself. We drove 135 miles to pick it up. Made it about 110 miles on the return trip. We took back roads the whole way and the truck ran great averaging 60mph. 40 miles from the house we had to get on the interstate or go through a major town at rush hour. Picked the interstate. Had to run 75 to keep from getting run over. Truck ran good for the first 15 miles or so of this. Then it sort of lost power and would pick back up again. Did that for 3 or 4 mins and we came upon a rest stop. I decided to pull in there and check things out. As I pulled up the ramp the truck died and I coasted to a parking spot. Would not start back. I had ran both tanks down to about 1/4 and was running on the rear tank. Eventually we left it there went and got 5 gallons of fuel. Batts were run down and we had to jump it but it finally started back. So after that incredibly long ramble my question is this. Do y’all think I probably just have a problem with the tanks ( I read that this is common) or was this related to the interstate drive. Has after market temp gauge that stayed right at 180 till interstate where it picked up to 205 and stayed there till it shut down. After we got it started back it made the rest of the trip like a champ, I stopped and filled the front tank up. The people I bought it from will take it back and refund my money if there is a major problem. But I like the old truck and would like to keep it if this is minor. They claim 125k original miles and the title does confirm that but of course I have no real way to know that for sure. Again I apologize for writing a book but I figured more details/information is better.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull the bed(6 bolts plus unplugging 2 connections and 6 screws holding the fuel filler necks in), pull both sending units and replace the fuel pickups. $60 total cost($30/ea).

Yes, it's totally the fuel pickups.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Yes, it's totally the fuel pickups.

I agree. Classic issue, you can even replace the pick up with fuel-rated hose and a hose clamp.
Of course you can run it forever with the pickups bad, just keep it well above the 1/4 tank mark. That's annoying, though.

Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, upload some pictures of the new rig.

LoganS

Reaction score
Thanks folks, much appreciated. I’ll put some pics but don’t laugh she’s ugly as can be. This guy had 5 trucks and liked camo paint jobs. I’ve seen worse but am not a camo fan personally.

LoganS

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Runningaford

Reaction score
Thanks folks, much appreciated. I’ll put some pics but don’t laugh she’s ugly as can be. This guy had 5 trucks and liked camo paint jobs. I’ve seen worse but am not a camo fan personally.
LMAO!!!! I saw the pics of your truck, noted the well done camouflage in the pics(then decided to read the thread, and saw your post).. I guess some like it, and some don't, but it for sure will hide dirt, dings, scrapes, bumps, and big ass dents ;-)

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it. It looks pretty well done and it still has the chrome windshield trim which I like. Looks like a nice truck. Interior looks clean too.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The camouflage paint job is well done! Or at least it looks that way in your pictures... Otherwise, the truck looks to be in excellent shape! I agree, fuel pickup problem. Welcome to the forum!

LoganS

Reaction score
Thanks for all your kind replies and the help. Secretly I like the camo too, just don’t tell my wife. It is very clean and Even the a/c still works. It’s been years since I’ve had a/c lol. Fired right up this morning and ran great. I’ll pull the bed this weekend.

Zephyr

Reaction score
I had to look at the camo pattern several times. For a minute I thought the truck should be the state truck of Colorado, Rocky Mountain high and blowing smoke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online