Fuel tank vent & shower head

oleary761

Reaction score
I have a 1993 F350 long bed. Im tired of having issues with filling up at the diesel station due to poor tank vents and am also having an Issue with the "shower head" that fell off the end of my rear tanks pick up. I couldn't find a walkthrough on how to fix the venting issues, can anyone steer me in the right direction? And what is the best way to fix my head falling off in the rear tank?

Runningaford

Reaction score
There are the IDI tech articles at the top of this forum, and then there's google. I just searched this recently, and found all the hits I could ever want. Anything from how to remove the tanks with the least hassle, how to properly remove the quick connects without too much issue, and more!.... GOOGLE :)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped both tanks, pulled the white plastic roll-over valve/vent out, and installed a copper plumbing fitting elbow, it fit snugly inside the original rubber grommet. Whatever fitting you use, you need a very tight low profile fitting for the rear tank, there is not much room at all above that tank.

I soldered short lengths of copper pipe to the elbows, and then bought some rubber hose that slipped up on the copper. My memory is bad, but I think all the copper was 3/4", I can't remember the size of the hose but it slipped right over the copper with a hose clamp.

I then ran the hose over near the filler door area, and then pushed it way up between the outside bed and inside bed area to form a very high loop. I did this for both tanks and use a piece of wire to tie the hose up in place. I then wire tied a piece of window screen over the end of the hose to keep mud dobbers and other varments from going up in the hose end.

It works really well. The only problem I have is if I let the station nozzle cut itself off when the tank gets full, I will get a little spot of diesel foam that pukes out of the end of the vent hose and leaves a little wet spot under the truck at the station. Nothing that bad really.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
showerhead delete.

You must be registered for see images attach

srry to intrude does this showerhead delete the 1/4 shut off since there would be a broken showerhead.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you can do is "open up" the vent so more air quickly escapes when refueling the tanks. Look into the fill line.See the inner metal tube.. Thats where the fuel fills the tank from. Now ALL the displaced air MUST escape the tank somehow. Well its supposed to escape thru a TINY slot near the top of the inner tube. You want to open that vent hole. Might use a big screwdriver and hammer. No need to make it pretty.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
showerhead delete.

I assume you've been running this for a while so I don't need to worry about not having a strainer on the end? That just looks like a plain hose barb to keep the end from floating right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted... The original shower head is little more than a rock strainer for "large stuff. Our fuel filter does all the real filtering...

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do SOME kind of strainer, or put a T on it, had some tank lining come off a restored tank in a gasser, floated around in there like latex paint pieces, idled fine and up to a certain RPM then cough sputter, replaced all the lines and filter, after all new tune up parts! anything gets in there it will get sucked up, in my case only when fuel pump demanded at higher RPMs and accelerating, when I would get off the gas the junk would float away, took quite a while to figure it out!
!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ +1; remember, between the tank pickups and the fuel filter is the selector valve. No strainer leaves the selector unprotected, and it's neither easy to repair nor cheap to replace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.