Limited slip/locker in a dually?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of you towing, particularly in rain or snow: have any input on open versus limited slip differential in a dually? My new rig is a CCLB dually, and my preference is to change the rear axle to 3.54 gears, and I figure while I'm in there, I'd like to at least consider turning both sides. I've driven in snow my entire life, but out here it's really just about going up the passes to ski or snowmobile. I'm a big fan of limited slip in passenger cars, and I had a posi in my last Jeep and I really liked how it handled the snow, but those are much lighter GVW vehicles. Most of what I'll be towing is a two place snowmobile trailer, but I do occasionally more something with an car hauler.

Just looking for some input from folks who have more experience driving/towing with a dually in rain and (more importantly) snow.

Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You actually had good experiences with a limited slip in the snow? All mine have been bad, in cars and trucks. All where rear wheel drive. When I am in a open diff vehicle and start spinning up a hill, I seem to make slow progress or no progress, but I am still in the middle of the road. With all the limited slip vehicles, when I started spinning the rear of the vehicle would want to go in the ditch, one side or the other. Could not let it spin and still keep it in the road.

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I have a 3.55 gear lsd in my DRW. I havent driven it much in the snow yet, but will drive it all this winter. The little time I did drive in the snow it was unloaded. Did pretty good, just gotta remember you will kick that rear out when you start to spin, but you can use that to your advantage if your use to driving something like that. I drove an 89 firebird thru a hard michigan winter, no problems.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
no difference to me what rear end the vehicle has in snow....
doesn't matter how much power the vehicle has in snow either.....
there's only one rule about driving in the white stuff: Slow the #$&^ down!!!!!

I make (on average) about $2k cash a year from getting people who forget that rule out of ditches.........

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the limited slip or "posi". My truck came with it from the factory with 4.10's so i'm livin with it. For me i find it better when pullin a trailer on a slick farm or a slightly snow covered road. As for kicking out yes it can and will happen with any vehicle when driving in the snow on any road. With a truck as long as wheelbase as yours or mine however its less noticeable. Like they say take it slow, add weight over your rear axle always works well and chains if needed. Limited slip does add that lil bit of forward traction though..

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
My '75 GMC is a pegleg, and I would always just throw a couple hundred pounds of horse feed in the back and drive it around like that all winter. Either that or sand bags. But that extra weight never left me stranded anywhere. Of course, my '94 PSD is a limited slip 3.55 and I love it... :D

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is generally known you will wear out your tires faster with a trac loc or posi with a dually. A lot more bite cornering with different axle speeds. Not sure it is a deal breaker but something that has come up over the years when yammering with other dually horse haulers when I was on the road with my DRW 5.9.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents on the Trac Loc / Posi thing... I have said I would never own another truck that drives one wheel. Makes zero sense to me, you have no traction in 2wd with one tire, don't know why they even bothered to offer them that way. That's just me.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Haven't had a dually but have ls in my truck and wouldn't trade for spider gears no matter what anybody said. I put 100,000 miles on my F100 4x4, had 4:10's with a Detroit Locker, 35" mud terrains and a 400hp 390 big block. I never regretted the Detroit, only wish I could afford it in every vehicle since.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing you're not going to have to worry about the rear end stepping out....not with the extra weight on the back. Empty in rain sometimes the rear will want to slide if you get on it while turning. I have one of each, both 92's crewcabs. One is an auto with limited slip and the other 5sp one-legger. I was on the beach on base just a week ago, and my buddy buried his 4x4 F150. I tried to pull him out with the 5sp...no joy, just spun the tire. Hooked up the other truck (just got it running again/the one with the camper shell) and pulled him out without slipping a tire. The truck has only seen the snow a few times....just be careful. Like stated already, it's nice piece of mind to be able to drop a tire off the pavement and know you can drive right back off of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My preference is the Truetrac, gear driven limited slip. The locker is great but they are very harsh and can lock and unlock at inopportune times throwing the truck around, and in my opinion not needed for a street driven truck.
Most limited slips, you'll never know are there and except the truck goes better in low traction situations.
If you can't make it up the road with a LS, I doubt a locker will do much better and you'll probably have to resort to chains anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online