lifter hole direction question

twin7.3s

Reaction score
First post but already learned a lot from other post. Trying to assemble rebuilt 7.3 the book doesen't show which direction the hole in the lifter goes. I assume it doesen't mater. Could someone confirm that ?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The roller on the lifter goes toward the cam, doing that, the hole as you call it will be faceing up towards you, the lifter rods go down into the hole so oil can be pumped up to the rockers. The lifter rods have a copper coating on one end, that end goes towards the rockers.

Welcome to the OB.

twin7.3s

Reaction score
Thanks. I was referring to a small hole half way down the lifter . It appears the lifter can go either way 180deg the hole will point to the front or back

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was referring to a small hole half way down the lifter . It appears the lifter can go either way 180deg the hole will point to the front or back
That's the oil feed hole and as far as I know it's non directional. Why did you not keep track of this when taking it apart?

Welcome to OB, LOOK through FAQ, TECH, and HALL of Shame sections fill in details on your truck in your signature too please.

What all are you doin to this engine? You may want to seek the guidance of members here based on this question you have.

We have tons of folks who know the ins and outs of these beasts. Take heed of what's said many are old hats at this stuff.

Again welcome to OB

Al

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would face the oil feed hole towards the direction on oil flow so its easier to get oil in them

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. It's a good practice to stick them back in the same holes & same direction if reusing the cam/lifters, but isn't going to kill anything if you don't. Likewise with the pushrods and rockers. Supposedly there's a copper colored end to the pushrods that's supposed to go one way or the other (I forget which) but all the ones I've seen were worn enough you couldn't see it and I haven't had a problem just sticking them in whichever way.

twin7.3s

Reaction score
Thanks, they are new lifters, new cam I did not pay much attention to small hole in the old ones, never knew they were there until I look at the new ones.