Lift pump noise

ak800x

Reaction score
I bought a 95 and the lift pump was making noise under acceleration so I replaced it. I have tested and all pressure is 25-27. Are these pumps supposed to make clatter noise under a load,? my new pump is loader than the one I took out at 240k. These pumps seem reliable but the noise sounds like a lose valve or something you can here it over the engine and only when you shove your foot to the floor. If this is normal then ok! but if not what to check?:dunno

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
the lift pumps on the 12v just work - they are not known for going out - I couldn't tell if mine was making extra noise or not because the 12v is the noisest engine on the block - Mine made so much noise when I first got it that I thought for sure there was something wrong but it was just that these Cummins live up to their slang name - cummapart - because they simply sound like they are gonna come apart.... Are you sure the noise isn't just the normal noise of the 12v?

Could be that you need a valve lash adjustment?

Where are you located maybe you are near a member that could meet up have some coffee and listen to your rig? that would do two things... first off you get to make a new friend and you get your truck looked at...

DieselRecon

Reaction score
Pressure seems a bit high. Use an old mechanics trick. Use a short piece of water hose as a stethoscope to find the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist