Leaky Injector

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Gents,

Starting a new thread to deal with my leaky injector issue...

So I tore into my rig this morning. When running the #8 injector has fuel pouring out through the top of the injector nut. Not a leak but a steady stream of fuel.

I checked and both o-rings where in place. My question is whether the return lines could be blocked somehow not allowing the fuel to return to through the return lines and it all is getting pushed out the #8 injector connection? Or am I just crazy to even think that?

I was not able to find any evidence of a cracked injector line or damage to the inector nut or the "cone" surface but I am curious about whether the injector could be cross threaded. I don't understand why the fuel would come out at the injector nut and hard line mounting point and not somewhere else if it was cross threaded?

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thad

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is the engine running poorly like on 7 cylinders. If so replace that bad injector. Its not likely the return line to the tank is blocked and only the # 8 area is the weak link and leaking only yhere. If the engine is running ruff thats another reason its a bad injector. Do you have all the injector line vibration clamps on and in place. If not you may have broken a hard line. They usually break right at the line to injector nut. Its usually so small a crack that you can't see it.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ok now that I have gotten a chance to look at this in the daylight...

The fuel is pouring out above the return line T and NOT the injector nut/hard line. The grey T fitting is loose and moves around quite a bit. Like I mentioned both 0 rings are in and in place. Maybe I need to replace the o-rings. I did notice that the return T fitting were mismatched between the two different styles. Might not be a bad idea to replace them all anyway as preventative maintenance. Pretty sure this is my issue...or part of it.

Any thoughts?

icanfixall,

It doesn't seem to be running rough. The fuel is just streaming out and thats about the only reason to notice the leak.

This thing really needs the GP system reworked. Just dropped another battery in to match the other new one the PO had put in. Its crazy that I have 1/3 the price of the rig in batteries so far!!!

Thad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Grey return line caps tells me these are the original return lines and caps so.... Replace the entire return line kit on all the injector. Seems someone before you did a half as job with the leaks. Once you touch one cap the others begin to leak so its eaier and faster to do the 8 at the same time. Just make sure everything is clean and watch for any dirt. Roll the top o-ring into the top groove and roll the lower o-ring down over the top ring. Use plenty of grease so things slip on easier. When you install the plastic caps push down till you hear and feel the second snap. there will be a small gap between the bottom of the injector line nut and the cap. Remove one side complete and use that as a pattern for the new set. Its better to cut the hose a little long than it is to cut the line short.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the kit on order right now. The parts store told me that they had one but after driving 20 mins in to town they said it was on order for someone else...crazy that someone else would be needing this part.

But it should be here on Tuesday. I also have a #8 injector line enroute to the house too, just to rule that out as a possibility. I will try the o-rings first though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is the lower o-ring larger than the top?

Thad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... Both o-rings are the same size so it wont matter what rings you pull out of the bag and install on the top groove. Glad your getting all the parts before you start working on this.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Thats what I love about these rigs. I can buy parts on the cheap just to rule out possible issues. Thanks again for the help.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Got the return line kit installed and the leak is gone. The engine runs like a champ!!! Now I just need to fix the front brakes. Pretty sure the pads are gone.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I think the old return line cap was just too old an worn out. The o-rings didn't appear that old but the reutrn cap wasn't even close to tight on the injector.

Thanks for the help. Now on to the rest of the rig!!!

Thad

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the price on the return kit and what brand was it.?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
$70 after tax. The brand was BWD. It had the black o-rings. I can't remember off hand if those are the good ones or not. I figured thats why you were asking.

Thad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.