Leaking Timing Cover/Water Pump Cover? Water leaking into Oil on possible purchase

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im looking at a truck for my lil brother. Its advertised as an 88 (87 actually i think) with a 6.9L and 4spd. 2x4. Says it runs good, but it will leak water into the oil. This is a mechanic shop that told me they pressure tested the system and found out that the timing cover/water pump cover was corroded and leaking into the crankcase.. Is this a legite possibility? And what would we be looking to get it fixed? I have included a link to an auction of what he is talking about i think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190680867719?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

If i decide to get it, I am thinking about electric fanning it while i have it apart. For $550 would this be a good deal? Body is straight and supposedly it runs good minus that problem. Has not been ran since it was discovered.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/2989825550.html

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Seems like I've heard mention of that possibility here a few times but I can't think how exactly it would happen. I suppose there must be a seal between the block and the timing cover with a water jacket through it. I've done the water pumps and such but never had that cover off but I no others will know more.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This plate you have pictures of has two seperate gaskets between it and the block. then the water pump sandwishes a gasket between it and this plate. The teo top and bottom bolts enter the oil side of the engine so they need thread sealant applied to them to stop any possible leaks. The shop description of this engine is not very accurate. These engines never had a timing chain under this cover. Its all a gear driven setup. With that said my guess is the oil cooler o-rings have failed allowing oil to get into the coolant... Or lack of coolant. The plate you posted a pic of looks terrible. I really would not try useing that plate. To remove this plate you must remove the dampner and water pump. Then maybe a few other acessery bolts and it comes off easily. Caution... There are two bolts under the oil pan seal area and these engines didn't use a gasket for the oil pan so don't install one. They do just fine with an rtv seal and never leak. That was factory... To repair the oil cooler o-rings its about a $50.00 parts deal. Ebay has a set of gaskets and o-rings listed now in the 6.9 diesel parts search.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has not mentioned oil getting into the coolant, just coolant into the oil. I will give the engine and everything a good deal of eyeing before i tow it home. He said he would take $550 for it, and i think i could get back out of it for scrap if need be, but if i got it going right, i think it would be a good first truck for the little bro. Below is the email from the guy.

"Chance: Once the previous owner notice the water in the oil, he shut it down. He had it tow to my shop. I drain the oil out, refilled with new oil, filled the radiator up, & ran the engine to locate leakage. Pressurized coolant system & found water was entering engine @ timing chain/water pump cover. It have not been started since. The last time it was crank, was last year. $550.00 will be the lowest I will go."

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I still say this "shop mechanic" has no idea what he is talking about. There is no honest way to know the water is getting by the timing cover with a pressure test. No possible way to "see" the water crossing over.. Yes... You could possibiliy get your money back by parting it out too.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It is probably a good deal if you can hear and see it run. Drain the coolant to avoid contamination first. If it fires up and runs OK, you have two possibilities to fix. The water pump and plate is an afternoon, the oil cooler may take longer. Both are doable in a driveway, no special tools. Not a lot of money invested, either.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will see what he says. I say its fixable with a little work. I dont want to have to reseal the oil cooler just because its a pain in the ass to get to. But that seems to be the most obvious explanation.
Will the water/coolant still get into the oil even if it has not been ran if it was the oil cooler?

Here is the other earlier email from him. Makes it sound like it will leak down without running the motor.

"If you fill the radiator that evening it will be low the next morning, & engine oil level will be high. This truck is two wheel drive , it look like a 4X4. Friday afternoon I will be in Tucson." cookoo

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I will see what he says. I say its fixable with a little work. I dont want to have to reseal the oil cooler just because its a pain in the ass to get to. But that seems to be the most obvious explanation.
Will the water/coolant still get into the oil even if it has not been ran if it was the oil cooler?

Maybe, if the oil cooler o rings are really shot. Otherwise, I would start with the (relatively) easier job of resealing the water pump plate/timing cover. They are a little fussy, since they are just a piece of stamped steel. If there is corrosion , or someone bent it trying to get it off, it will leak and the oil passages are only 5/16" away.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
wait now. the timing gear plate cover CAN errode threw, jason(freebird) has pictures of his erroded away. i gave one to mel that was ALMOST erroded threw. running low on water and having the WP impeller thrashing in water can cause cavitation which will eat the cover and the WP impeller.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plate can have cavitation holes in it and leak coolant into the crankcase. (My truck has caviation divits in the plate) Of course you have to remove the water pump to see that. I also remember hearing on this forum that those plates that separate the waterpump from the crankcase were no longer available new. So pick and pull may be an option. If you go to a pick and pull, make sure that you take a puller to remove the harmonic balancer.

Archie

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A puller is required plus a 15/16 socket and breaker bar to loosen the dampner bolt thats really tight for what it is. 90 ft lbs of torque...