Leaking IP

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My IP is leaking and im almost positive it is coming from around the throttle shaft. Tomorrow im going to try and tighten up all the lines on the IP as a last hope that the IP isnt actually leaking haha. But if the leak is coming from around the throttle shaft then is my IP screwed or fixable? and wheres the best place to get a IP? im afraid to call the ford dealership and ask for a price...

Heres a picture of the leak.
You must be registered for see images

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody will know what the deal is. For some reason, from that pic, I cant tell which angle your looking at the IP, its kinda messing me up.

Anyways, yeah I dont even think ford offers an IP for our truck anymore. Where do you live? If I were to buy a new IP I would buy it from www.o-f-i.com, but I live in Oregon so the shipping would be cheap. If you lived in the mid-west, then I think there is a place called midwest fuel injection, google it if you want. Other than that you could go to your parts store and get one I'm pretty sure.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry that picture is taken from the passengers side fender looking past the fuel filter too the IP.

I live in British Columbia, Canada. Im sure i can get one from the local parts store. How hard is it to remove and replace a IP? is there somewhere that has a quide of some sort? Do i need to do any timing after changing the pump?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Right after I posted I though to myself, he probably lives in Canada, and I gave only places here in the states. Sorry I dont know any places that offer IP's up there off the top of my head, but Napa and the likes should.

Changing an IP will take some time, and there are certain rules you have to follow and what not, but it shouldnt be to hard. I've never done it though, so others will have to tell you there experiences. And yes, you should have it timed by either a good reputable diesel shop, or buy the equipment and do it yourself.

suv7734

Reaction score
How old/how many miles on the pump? Are you using any fuel additive? Certainly fixable. Replacement isn't too bad, just requires some patience the first time. Timing is mandatory after replacement. What part of BC are you in and I can probably give you a good shop to talk to. Are you getting any other symptoms other than the leak?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search as there's lots of information and you do not want to disturb the injection pump gear as the timing is very critical. In regards to replacement IPs, there are lots of good ones and bad ones. I have heard good things about Oregon Fuel Injection, but again there's lots information on this site to help you make your decision.

Here's a link for explaining timing marks and injection pump removal.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old/how many miles on the pump? Are you using any fuel additive? Certainly fixable. Replacement isn't too bad, just requires some patience the first time. Timing is mandatory after replacement. What part of BC are you in and I can probably give you a good shop to talk to. Are you getting any other symptoms other than the leak?

Im not sure how many miles on IP. I bought the truck in July of 2007 and the PO stated he had the heads and fuel pump overhauled. But he didnt have any proof so i dont know when they would have been replaced if they even were.

And ive been running dieselkleen every fill up since i bought the truck.

Im in the Vancouver area of BC. If know of any good shops that would be great.

Last edited: