Leading around the oil filter/ how tight?

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my truck was leaking around the oil filter. I tightened it by hand, and called it good. Well, today I changed the oil and filter, and other stuff. I tightened it as tight as I could by hand, and took it for a test run. After I got home I noticed that it was leaking again, I reached up there and it was as tight as I could get it by hand. I know that by saying hand tight doesn't really specify any kind of torque, but I'm pretty strong, and on all the gas engines I've ever done had never leaked. Is it any different with diesel's? Should I get a filter wrench and snug it up some more, apparently so. I checked and the old oring came off with the old filter, so that's not the problem. I can't tell if oil is leaking above it and falling on to the filter or not, but when I reach up there with my fingers, I don't get any oil on them.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a bad filter, seen some leak from the seam around the top.

I find that hand tightening is not enough for mine, I always give it an extra little bit from the filter wrench.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Yes I oiled the o ring, and the old filter leaked too, but it was loose. I guess I'll find an oil wrench and try that. It's been so long that I've needed one, I think I'll have to go to town and buy one.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conventional lore is to snug it pretty good by hand and then do 1/4 additional turn. The wrench maybe needed for that last 1/4 turn. I use the wrench because my hands are always greasy by that stage.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW there could still be an extra old gasket there from two or more changes ago. Did you check?

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always tightened another 3/4 after the oring contacts. I know on the Napa filters I use, it is printed on it to tighten a full turn, but that seems a little tight, so I only do 3/4, never had a leak.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I was just worried that maybe there's a gasket on the motor or something leaking up above it, and draining onto the oil filter, making it appear that the filter is leaking?

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful the first filter I removed from my truck after I got it had to be chiseled off. After braking two filter wrenches I ended up driving a huge Phillips that I have through the filter three different time to turn the filter enough to get it loose. don't over tighten it.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
be careful the first filter I removed from my truck after I got it had to be chiseled off. After braking two filter wrenches I ended up driving a huge Phillips that I have through the filter three different time to turn the filter enough to get it loose. don't over tighten it.

been there, done that, and on more than one occasion.....

normally when I can't find the !@#$ wrench!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A leaking gasket on a filter is often a malformed filter. Try another one.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've ALWAYS had to use a wrench on mine. Both the oil and fuel filters.
They just seep unless I do.

Crappy seal design.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Anytime I use a Napa filter, fuel or oil, I have to tighten it 1 turn past contact to keep it from leaking. My Baldwin filters though they seal with contact +1/4.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
It's a Wix filter, and I've never had any problems like that. Usually just hand tight was good enough. I guess I'm getting weaker, I tightened up a bit more today and it works fine.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner