lazy starting?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The 6.9 in the scout always lit off after half a crank or so and went right to idle. I have no advance or high idle switch and it never had a problem even in the cold. The glow plugs cycle the same, the engine spins fast, and once it runs for a few seconds its fine. I thought it was a filter or the small electric pump, so I replaced allll the filters, and added the mechanical lift pump. It cranks for 5 seconds, catches runs for a second then stalls, if I hold it about 1/4 throttle it still cranks a few seconds then when it lights I can hold it for like 10 seconds and it will idle fine. Oh I also bumped the idle screw up 1/4 turn. Any ideas what I should look at, it just started this a week or 2 ago... plenty of power it pulled hard at the sled pulls. Thanks!

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Sounds like air in the system... Being a custom rig, I'm not sure where to start, but start-then-stall is an air problem. Is this only on the initial start, or does it do it when it's been shut off for a only a few hours too

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ti restarts, then it definately sounds like an air problem. Start with the basics.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah it restarts fine everytime unless it sits overnight or a couple hours. The one return line cap is a little wet, that may be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online