Kinda Unhappy With G code Injectors

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have seen some smoke every morning cold startup and I have around 9000 miles on my rebuilt motor so far. Yes, I have a Moose pump but this smoke has not changed with either stock turbo pump or the Moose. Some cold startups sound like a gasser thats on full choke and just about ready to stall. When this happens I add some rpms and it goes away but the running rpms are already around 750 when this is happening. My thoughts are the injectors are not fireing correctly. Even after warming up I can see smoke dirfting by the truck if the breeze is blowing forwards. Its very lite but I see it and don't like it much. I have not pop tested them yet. Would the BB or C or D injectors work out any better for me? I know the G injectors have a higher pop pressure but I'm not sure about the EPA fix that may have been done so the motor could pass immions standards. This is about the only place a refinement could be made to and already installed motor to satisfy the EPA on an older motor like ours.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It kinda sounds like you have an injector or two that isn't working properly. Especially if you are seeing a slight amount of smoke idling when warm. Might wanna pull them and see what they look like, and test them out. Might be bad spray pattern's :dunno .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Justin... These are a new set and the other new set did the same thing. I bought them from differant suppliers on Ebay so I dought they were a bad bunch from Stanadyne but I'l pop test them and see. I know Towcat pop tested about 50 sets and found no real differances in most of the patterns. I do feel a good pattern is needed. Maybe its time Mel and I got together and make up a set of multi ported hi po injectors.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds typical of "leakers". I've seen cold injectors fail to seal up and they dribble any old time they want, resulting in fuel in the cylinder during any of the 3 other cycles that there isn't supposed to be fuel in. If you put them on a pop tester, you will see it. The drips also mean the timing is retarded during the next injection cycle.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
You might also try a full blast dose of your favorite additive. Mine smoked bad after initial start up and I put on a new fuel filter with straight Stanadyne and it cleared up.

I'll 3rd the moose injectors.

discbrks

Reaction score
I'm gonna jump in on this G code problem. I put in a set of Delphi G codes - no turbo yet (if that matters). It has a rough idle, almost like a gasser with a small camshaft. Sometimes I get injector knock, and sometimes I don't. This prompted me to build an injector tester. If I get a clear weekend I'll pull them and test them all, but I suspect a few dribblers.

icanfixall - how's your idle?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My idle is a little ruff but only at times... Then other times its smooth a silk. Occasionally on a warm starup after running some distance it sounds like diesel has drained down somewhere because it will crank and very slowly catch and slowly liteoff. Almost sounds like trying to restart a flooded gasser. I have been looking for leaks but none found yet. All injectors and return lines are dry. So maybe a dribbler or two will be found later. I have a tester but I have to assemble it first with a 5000 lb gage so I can see the pressures.. Kent Moore has an ausume injector tester that has a fluid resoviour made into it. I don't know about how it filters the fluid yet. I use 3 oz. of Stanadyne Performance in every tank full.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
When you do pull the nozzles, turn them over and drain out the fuel onto a white paper towel.....if the fuel is dark that means combustion gasses are getting up past the seat...indicating either scarred {doubtful if "new"} barrel or weak seat sealing pressure...either way --builder/vendors responsibility!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you retime the engine? Higher pop pressure means later injection timing.

When I bought a new set of Stanadyne G codes at least one was not assembled correctly and basically had no spring pressure on the pintle.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
FWIW
I'm not impressed with my 'G's, either. I've got the same symptoms as Gary.

I'm going back to 'D's, next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online