Kill Switch: Ya or Na

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
My dad used to have two kill switches on his old truck to prevent theft. now that i am driving to ann arbor everyday he has been nagging at me to put a couple switches in. i would rather put in a good alarm system that would scare the **** out of any thief and get the attention of other people. there are always people walking around campus so people would notice a robbery in progress. i don't want to put some half ass kill switch in b/c the last thing i want to have happen is to leave class at 5:00 at night and go to start it and no start.

I found these systems....
http://www.viper.com/P-3305V/Viper-Responder-350-2-way-Security-System

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally i would get the alarm. i have a few freinds with them and there loud as sh$t. only thing is DONT let the battery in the remote die or you will hate it very quickly.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
personally i would get the alarm. i have a few freinds with them and there loud as sh$t. only thing is DONT let the battery in the remote die or you will hate it very quickly.

Ya that link to the viper system has some warning tones if a person get to close to the vehicle and then if any glass is broke it screams at 120db:eek:. That is frickin' loud.
The viper systems also have a kill switch thing built in. this is from their site....
Failsafe Starter Kill. The vehicle's starter solenoid will remain connected unless a thief attempts to hot-wire the ignition switch. Failsafe Starter Kill keeps the vehicle where you parked it: No unauthorized user can operate your vehicle once you've armed it, even with your key. Failsafe = peace-of-mind.

I am gonna guess that when the remote's battery dies you are SOL for getting into the truck.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I could steal your truck without having to hotwire...just sayin. Two switches would be easy, cheap and effective. If it were me, I'd do both.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Could either drill the lock cylinder out or take my chances. How many people do you think would give a second glance to a guy in a parkinglot with a toolset working on an old truck? unbolt the ignition switch, pull the metal rod out and slide it forward...then just break the wheel lock, which is easy.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
You sound like you know what you doing. a past life. LOL:rotflmao

Would you still be able to do that if there was an electrical device that cut the power feed to where ever it goes in order to start the engine?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
or even easyier, pop hood, 12+ to IP, jump solinoid to start. break steering lock and off i go!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
just a good knowledge of any older diesel.......

and if they have the internet, and can find OBN, they can steal your truck. lol

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Could either drill the lock cylinder out or take my chances. How many people do you think would give a second glance to a guy in a parkinglot with a toolset working on an old truck? unbolt the ignition switch, pull the metal rod out and slide it forward...then just break the wheel lock, which is easy.

All you need is a scratch awl or small punch and a flat screwdriver. Trust me, I had to do it when my ignition switch decided to eat itself. And, breaking the steering wheel lock is very easy to do, just whip the wheel back and forth a few times. And with as much play as my steering box has, thats no big problem.

I think a blind Monkey could steal my truck :rotflmao

You don't even have to open the door to open the hood :sly

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that link to the viper system has some warning tones if a person get to close to the vehicle and then if any glass is broke it screams at 120db:eek:. That is frickin' loud.
The viper systems also have a kill switch thing built in. this is from their site....
Failsafe Starter Kill. The vehicle's starter solenoid will remain connected unless a thief attempts to hot-wire the ignition switch. Failsafe Starter Kill keeps the vehicle where you parked it: No unauthorized user can operate your vehicle once you've armed it, even with your key. Failsafe = peace-of-mind.

I am gonna guess that when the remote's battery dies you are SOL for getting into the truck.

One of my friends had an 01 dodge 1500 with a system similar to that on it. One day we went and hit the beach up and he forget to take his keys of his pocket! That remote got thrashed and the only spare he had was all the way in town at his house. Needless to say we spent several hours trying to get that thingto shutup and had people a half mile down the road complain.....
We finally gave up and drove intown to get the other remote