Kill Switch: Ya or Na

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
IDK, if I were that type of person...I see a few trucks on here I'd commandeer.

I have a few fairly close to me (other side of state) that all are kept in the same place and all owned by the same guy :sly. Most are rust free, and most are garage kept, There's even a diesel Bronco there :sly(I think he got it finished :dunno).

Yes Mel, I have a serious case of Truck Envy;Sweet;Sweet

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the wire going to the solenoid trigger down at the starter and then ran them up into the truck to a toggle switchon all my trucks. I don't care how long you look for it you will not find it unless you know where to look. I can reach in and hit the switch myself in a second but no one else has ever been able to find it even when I tell them where it is so they can move it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I like the Moose Truck Security System.

He hits a hidden switch, that activates a tank switcher that averts the fuel from the motor and spits it out to the ground, The truck will run on the fuel that is in the line while leaving a trail of diesel fuel to follow to the out of fuel truck.

He's a Genius!

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
The kill switch is my favorite. I lived in Miami for some years in the 90's and people did not payed any attention to cars or trucks with alarms sounding, it was so common that anybody cared to look what was the reason.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you just unplug the batts to kill the alarm?

Stealing an IDI is easy... One wire and a couple tools or just a knife. Kill switch? Pop the hood, unplug the ip wire. Trigger the glow plug relay with pliers for several seconds. hook that wire up to the ip preferably gator clamp on the batt side and a female blade. Pop that on and trigger the starter solenoid with the pliers. Hop in, bust the steering lock if it even works and have fun. Unless you hid those relays it's cake.

Or just actuate the ignition under the steering column...

If someone wants it bad enough they will get it or wreck it trying.

I've got some safety devices in here and a gun near me. But if someone is determined all those safeties do is slow them.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not a kill switch for the FSS and electric fuel pump too!
it's too easy to bypass the FSS:eek:
alarms are worthless. I get paid to steal cars and noone looks at me twice when it comes to stealing cars. remain calm and work quickly. look like you are there for a legit reason and it's all yours. besides, I don't know a good red-blooded american who would accost a car thief in the process of stealing a car of a complete stranger.
oh yes, our trucks take no intelligence to steal either.cookoo

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't want half assed stuff on your truck DON'T get an alarm. i've never in all my life seen an alarm installed with factory quality wiring. they are always wire tapped, electrical tape over bad crimps and nightmares. guess why none of the vehicles i own have functioning door locks. yup it's the alarms.

i can steel any of our trucks with a jumper wire, crow bar and torx driver. gas, diesel doesn't matter. once you know how the systems work and where they are it's really easy. i don't even need the jumper wire most of the time.

a well placed kill switch will mess with most car thieves more than a cheap alarm. to get around the alarm: get under the truck, find the alarm horn wires. cut them, then go about steeling the truck.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive said it before if somebody wants your vehicle bad enough they will get it.kill switches were good back in the 80s.take a peek under the dash and look for non factory wiring and youll find the switch.i dont care how good you are at wiring,you have to tap into the vehicles wiring and a good thief will pick up on it real quick.

alarms do no good.pull the 2 power fuses and the vehicle will fire up most of the time.if it doesnt,unplug all alarm wiring and itll start.

92-97 trucks are simple to pick the ignition with a dipstick.

ive never had a car or truck stolen or had anybody try.i leave the keys right in the ignition.who in their right mind is gonna walk up and take a car with the keys in it?keys in the ignition usualy means the owner is not far away or its a police setup like they do on that show bait car.

but if i really wanted your vehicle id show up with a wrecker or car carrier.i gaurantee id be loaded and gone before you could get off the couch and come outside.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
If I am worried about my truck, I just leave my dog in it.... I might come back to a bloody chewed on stump of an arm, but my truck would still be there. :D

I would just do a kill switch. Cheap and easy. Make it shut down the GP's, fast idle, and cold advance. Make them make as much noise as possible to get it going.

I had a viper on this truck and my crawler, and I hated both. Mostly due to the install job, but the systems seemed like hacks.

I now have a more advanced kill switch set up, designed to make anyone trying to steal my truck run, while all the neighbors are looking out the windows wondering why a train is coming through the neighborhood!!

PZ

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
My dad used to have two kill switches on his old truck to prevent theft. now that i am driving to ann arbor everyday he has been nagging at me to put a couple switches in. i would rather put in a good alarm system that would scare the **** out of any thief and get the attention of other people. there are always people walking around campus so people would notice a robbery in progress. i don't want to put some half ass kill switch in b/c the last thing i want to have happen is to leave class at 5:00 at night and go to start it and no start.

I found these systems....
http://www.viper.com/P-3305V/Viper-Responder-350-2-way-Security-System

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

I know it's not intuitive, but listen to your dad. Brimmstone's method is real good, splicing in at the starter rather than under the hood or in the dash. As was mentioned, owner wiring is easy to spot under the dash, so put the switch somewhere else. Do e40d's have a neutral or park sensor (comparable to a ZF's clutch position sensor) that you could use as a switched disable? All I use now is a hidden fuel pump disable, but I think I'm going to look for the clutch position sensor wires this weekend.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since we're discussing kill switches here, I'll throw in what I did for a friend some years back who was moving to a big city with a car that was very popular with certain ethnic groups :Whatever:

I installed a momentary pushbutton on the floorboard underneath the carpet, about where the high beam switch used to reside before they moved it to the steering column. This switch had to be depressed while turning the ignition switch in order for the circuit to the starter solenoid to be completed.

This momentary switch was wired to a standard 30A SPDT "ice cube" automotive relay deeply buried underneath the dash that intercepted the start wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

The wire from the ignition switch went to the 87 (or Normally Open/NO) terminal of the relay and also to one side of the momentary switch. The other side of the momentary switch was connected to the relay coil (either 85 or 86), with the other side of the coil grounded.

The wire to the starter solenoid was connected to the 30 (or COMMON) terminal of the relay.

Now, here's the twist that I have never seen anybody else do: I connected the 87A (or Normally Closed/NC) terminal on the relay to ground using a heavy-gauge wire. What this does is to GROUND the wire going to the starter solenoid when the relay is at rest (or anytime you are not trying to start). So if anybody tries to hot-wire the starter solenoid without first disconnecting the wire to it (and normally you wouldn't because there is normally no need to do so), they are just shorting directly to ground. The potential thief will be confounded by a shower of sparks along with the refusal of the solenoid to operate.

I also installed a hidden "valet/mechanic" bypass switch in parallel with the momentary switch, deeply buried in the dash.

The beauty of this system is, its operation is completely transparent and unobservable to anybody including your passenger - nobody is going to notice your left foot pressing down on the carpet or floormat while you crank the ignition key.

Is it foolproof? No, nothing is, but it DID save my friend's car from being taken (but not from it being torn up inside trying to find that !@#$% relay or switch) on three different occasions. At least with the alarm, there is a chance that it will scare the less-serious scumbags away before they do too much damage. I'm in favor of the IN-CAB audible alarm that is so piercingly loud that one couldn't stand to be in there w/o hearing protection.

You can make this setup from about $20 worth of parts and a few hours of time.