Just talked to 95_Stroker

jvencius

Reaction score
He's doing OK and he/his family is safe. Apparently things got a little hairy Tuesday when the authorities moved the evacuation zone for the Casper Mt. fire to within 5 blocks of his house but even though the smoke made it look like a really heavy fog outside and there were chunks of charcoal in his backyard, everybody's doing alright. Even though the fire is only 30% contained, from what he described it's burning now in an area where therer aren't as many people/structures so it'll be easier for the FF's to work on since they don't have to make as aggressive of an attack trying to save a residence.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things are looking better here now for sure, they started letting folks back into the evac'd areas as of 10pm last night, the fire is now about 50% contained and so far 12,000 acres have been torched. In that only 4 structures and one vehicle have been lost and no injuries have been reported.

Thanks for the concern John, I appreciate it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few photo's I took of the blaze begining on Monday.

Attachments

• DSCF0237.JPG
    DSCF0237.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0239.JPG
    DSCF0239.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 8149E.jpg
    8149E.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 8155E.jpg
    8155E.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8206E.jpg
    8206E.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 6

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuesday night shots and Wed evening.

Attachments

• CasMtn1.JPG
    CasMtn1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 11
  • CasMtn2.JPG
    CasMtn2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0249.JPG
    DSCF0249.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0250.JPG
    DSCF0250.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 6

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackhawk bucket brigade. There were 4 of these and a huey and a crane lift copter on the fire as well as two slurry bombers.

Attachments

• DSCF0263.JPG
    DSCF0263.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 9

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not to sound like the ignorant Mid Atlantic raised individual that I am, but...Is this type of fire "normal" for your area? Who owns the land - BLM? I see fires on the news in the pacific north west every year, but always wondered what a "local" would have to say about them, land management etc.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Not to sound like the ignorant Mid Atlantic raised individual that I am, but...Is this type of fire "normal" for your area? Who owns the land - BLM? I see fires on the news in the pacific north west every year, but always wondered what a "local" would have to say about them, land management etc.

The short answer yes it is normal for fire to cleanse the land, the long answer can get pretty involved and deep. This particular mountain hasnt seen a substantial fire in over 100 years. This made for alot of fuel load. Now, both private property owners and Govt. land (BLM) have done a poor job of proper forest/timber management IMHO. Also previous fire suppression that would have cleared out some of the fuel load has an impact on fires such as this one. Sometimes its better to just let them burn when they are small and containable, then you dont get the big kahunas like this one is.

Now in defense of the private property owners and BLM, Casper Mountain would be fairly difficult to harvest timber off of but it could be done. It is a pretty verticle terrain with few forrest roads and nearly no water sources.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks geo, I'm back to work on days now so I wont get to see the full damage in the daylight until middle of next week. I'll put up some pics of the carnage then.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm glad all's well Mike. Losing the house would suck.
Especially since you just finished the big freakin hole. :)

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Blackhawk bucket brigade. There were 4 of these and a huey and a crane lift copter on the fire as well as two slurry bombers.

Glad to hear you made it through OK. I know that can be a very stressful situation not knowing which way it's going to go and if the winds are going make things worse or better. Are you near Casper, Wyo? I used to crew C-130 slurry bombers in the military. One of the most rewarding jobs I ever had. 2002 was one of the worst fire seasons ever for the western US. We dropped on the Hayman fire outside of Denver for weeks. I believe the final tally was over 156,000 acres lost. It was an incredible picture of devastation to see.
Down here in New Mexico, we're having quite the opposite season. We've had the most rain this summer that we've had since they started recording it in 1931. The fires the lightning starts, the rain puts out. I wish it would stop so I could mow the weeds. Never thought I'd say that!

Anyway, glad you are in the clear and I hope the rest of the season is not as stressful.

Tom

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Well Mike, if it came to it you and yours are always welcome here. We can move grandma in with the twins. Of course I'll need to find you a flat place to park your truck but that shouldn't be to big of a deal.
Sure glad I don't have to worry about fires where I live.