Just so you know...You're all drivng Powerstrokes

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Don't care what your buddy says or thinks. I have had 3 6.0's in my fleet on many trucks, and I will never own another. They eat injectors, the turbos go bad, the egr's are crap, and I even had one that got a complete new engine at only 2000 miles. Wow those 6.0's are just wonderful, never again. i love my 6.9's and 7.3's and even the 7.3l powerstrokes are great. I prefer the idi's though with the very low repair bills, and good economy. I could honestly care less about my guys having power at the finger tips.

As mentioned before, many of the problems you encountered have long since been remedied. Not trying to offend you, but after going through so many parts, did you ever wonder if the problem was your guys running the **** out of brand new engines that hadn't even been broken in yet?

I had a buddy put a new crate engine in his Tbird and drove it like he stole it the minute he started it up. It lasted about a week due to an improper break in.

I do agree with the lower maintenance costs of the IDI, these old trucks really shine in that department. ;Sweet Just hope the availability of parts lasts! The number of IDI's I'm picking through in the salvage yards are becoming few and far in between.

DragRag

Reaction score
As mentioned before, many of the problems you encountered have long since been remedied. Not trying to offend you, but after going through so many parts, did you ever wonder if the problem was your guys running the **** out of brand new engines that hadn't even been broken in yet?

I had a buddy put a new crate engine in his Tbird and drove it like he stole it the minute he started it up. It lasted about a week due to an improper break in.

I do agree with the lower maintenance costs of the IDI, these old trucks really shine in that department. ;Sweet Just hope the availability of parts lasts! The number of IDI's I'm picking through in the salvage yards are becoming few and far in between.

Nope wasn't my guys at all. My partner drive one, I drove one, and my wife drive the other. My opinion is nor preconcieved or really opinion at all, it is a subjective analysis of my experience with the 6.0. I will not own one again, they are just a time bomb really. Tell how they worked out the stretching head bolt issue, is that just imaginary. The dealer just puts new head bolts on rather then using a quality stud which those engines definitely need. You might be able to sell one to someone who has no experience with one, but I unfortunately have to much experience with them, and our three were not beat on just driven. No offense taken by the way, I just don't know why you find it necessary to cover for them when they are clearly crap. Or, maybe I just got some bad ones?? I have friends that run them also, or used to, they gave them up to. I don't know anyone who can win with that engine. I love the 5 speed trans though, that was aw winner. My truck, the 05' king ranch had a bad block from the factory, now that's quality control. Rant is over....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the cab is easy after seeing how its done. Figure 45 minutes to an hour to lift that sucker. The huge plus is you can work like a gentleman. No leaning over the fenders hoping not to scratch anything. Walk right up to the heads, turbo, or anything else.:thumbsup:

Nope, thats not going to happen in my driveway or shop LOL. Never timed it but I would guess it takes me about half an our to have my turbocharger pulled and on the bench. Not that I'm in a wonderful mood by then, but its not too bad. LOL

To each their own I guess. Even if I did have access to a shop that ford dealers use, I would never own a 6.0 for this and many other reasons. Even the 7.3L powerstroke I worked on seemed to be fairly strait forward without much clutter on top.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, mechanical diesels have gone the way of mechanical gas engines...emissions rules simply won't allow them, and I don't think there's any chance of that changing.

I have a feeling that the next 5 to 10 years for diesels will be similar to the late '70's and early '80's for gas engines...manufacturers are looking for ways to cut emissions at the expense of power and fuel economy, using the general population as guinea pigs. As time goes by, they'll start to figure things out and make improvements, but for now, I think it is the Dark Ages for diesels :(

I just wish we'd look to the Europeans for diesel technology and emissions regulations...seems to me that they're handling things much better there than here...

You're probably right but there can sometimes be ways to get around the red tape depending on where you live and what your goals are. Some juristictions are so strict you can't do anything to a vehicle.

In my case when I went to have the ranger insured as a diesel we told them it now runs on diesel and what did they do? changed the fuel type on the papers and sent us on our way.:eek:

With that experience in mind I did the same with my electric saturn when the time came (All those late night test drives without valid plates while "seeing what it can do" was simply asking for it and I figured it was only a matter of time before I got caught:rotflmao). Insurance papers now read "fuel type = electric":thumbsup:

Kit cars and hot rods are also able to get around the rules but in terms of a high production truck like the F series, I agree the truck we want is no longer possible. But in some places it would be legal to build your own custom and maybe even sell them one at a time. Definately not a way to get rich thats for sure.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My buddy worked for IH for 25yrs, he said from day one that with a 6.0 "you got a really good one or a really bad one"....I guess you got the bad ones...LOL....He said it didn't matter if you were driving on to a Ford lot or a International truck dealership...Both had issues but not every engine. I know one fella with almost 400,000km on his 6.0, loves it - no troubles at all.:dunno

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems we have wandered into the dreaded 6.0 debate again. Sorry for my part in it. David85 I wasn't so much reacting to your post as to the number of times I've heard that statement. I know a few people with 6.0's. To the man the well maintained with high quality parts trucks are running flawlessly.

I may have gotten a beat up IDI that has nickeled and dimed me way more than others here but it has received exceptional care since I've owned it. It's just that my "time bomb" 6.0, if it needed new injectors today would still be under the amount of money the IDI has hit me for so far.

Don't get me wrong I love both trucks and would hop in either one today and drive anywhere without fear of getting stranded but my reliability experience has been a little different from those of others.

Back on subject I would own any ford diesel truck proudly from the 6.9 to the 6.7. The 2011 trucks are obscenely expensive but I would own one if I could. From my first 78 f250, then my 93 f350 and now my 06 f250 they have all been real work workhorses.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries man. I have a way of shooting off my mouth on occasion anyway LOL. Looking back a few of my posts don't fairly convey my light hearted tone (not easy to get in typing).

Terms terms I used like "sin" regarding lifting the cab was intended more as as a playfull term but its hard for that to get across sometimes.

I wish nothing but good health to you and your trucks!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
But, they are building the new motor in Mexico, so chances are, it wont. :rolleyes:
I know people who won't buy one simply based on the principle of buying crap made in Mexico.

Do they come with a free can of chili powder & a recipe for making enchiladas on the intake manifold?? :D

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Do they come with a free can of chili powder & a recipe for making enchiladas on the intake manifold?? :D

Nope, a dozen illegals stuffed under the floorboards. LOL :rotflmao I couldn't resist!

On another note, I apologize DragRag, I really didn't have any room to make wild assumptions as I did. BigRigTech seems to have a valid point though...seems kind of hit and miss.

I don't think any ford diesel came factory with head studs...but with only 4 per cylinder the 6.0 probably should have tbh.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
4 bolts per cylinder is not enough and that is the biggest flaw in turning up a 6.0, the 6.7 has six 16mm bolts torqued big time tight so it should be a none issue with them. I have an IH rebuild job coming up at work - a DT466 in a 1980 Hough 530A loader.....Vintage...LOL

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those who have good luck with their 6.0 powered Ferds are a separate group from those who have had bad service from that power plant. I belong to "other chatrooms" that deal with 7.3 , 6.0 etc. and the level of complaints has certainly slowed down from when the 6.0 was introduced,,, but there have some disasters. I suspect if it was a totally good engine program it would still be the engine of choice for todays new Fords. It's not. That speaks volumes. If you have one, and it's working well.. buy me a lottery ticket will you,,, you are certainly lucky.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
16mm head bolts? tell me thats a typo.

Those who have good luck with their 6.0 powered Ferds are a separate group from those who have had bad service from that power plant. I belong to "other chatrooms" that deal with 7.3 , 6.0 etc. and the level of complaints has certainly slowed down from when the 6.0 was introduced,,, but there have some disasters. I suspect if it was a totally good engine program it would still be the engine of choice for todays new Fords. It's not. That speaks volumes. If you have one, and it's working well.. buy me a lottery ticket will you,,, you are certainly lucky.
i should think it has more to do with meeting regulation than mfr's satisfaction with its engineering and execution

DragRag

Reaction score
Nope, a dozen illegals stuffed under the floorboards. LOL :rotflmao I couldn't resist!

On another note, I apologize DragRag, I really didn't have any room to make wild assumptions as I did. BigRigTech seems to have a valid point though...seems kind of hit and miss.

I don't think any ford diesel came factory with head studs...but with only 4 per cylinder the 6.0 probably should have tbh.

Accepted, and no big deal really. Regards....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, they are building the new motor in Mexico, so chances are, it wont. :rolleyes:

I know people who won't buy one simply based on the principle of buying crap made in Mexico.

Why the hell Ford didn't build the 6.7 in Lima OH is beyond me. Here we sit with an almost empty 2.5 million square foot building. 2000+ people layed off. Ohio with 10.7 unemployment. :mad: