Just got my first diesel...

zpd307

Reaction score
check the high presure side hose. my o-ring is gone and i can pull the hose in and out. some day it will get fixed.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
The previous owner told me that he would usually see 10-12 mpg. When I picked up the truck I topped off the front tank so that I could try to get an estimate of the fuel milage. Today I stopped and filled up the front tank again. I've driven it 140 miles so far, and it took 9.75 gallons to top it off. That works out to 14.5 mpg. This was with 90% highway driving at 55-60 mph and 2400-2500 rpm.

While I'm not exactly thrilled with that kind of milage, at least it's better than what the PO told me to expect.

Like MLSC said the best economy comes at 2000 RPM or less. I set the cruise at 2000 RPM on the freeway and with 4:10 and 5 spd I'm cruisin' at 60 MPH. Good enough for me. At 65 and 2250 RPM my mileage is barely 16 MPG and at 60 and 2000 RPM I'm just a tad under 20 MPG. A Gear Vendors or US Gear overdrive is what you need.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which of these units would be the most desirable? I suppose I should start searching...

Personally, I'd love a brownie box, as it will make my 4-spd into a 12-spd, but those ain't too common to come across. US Gear don't make their unit no more, so in reality if you want new you are choosing between the Ranger and the Gear Vendors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the Ranger is only an option for manuals. Your best bet is the Gear Vendors. New, they cost $2500. On ebay, you can get them far more reasonable. However, don't rule out buying new, because remember this... that same trans can go on the next truck... and the next truck... and the next truck... You would just have to buy the adapters. The unit is always the same, and they just sell parts to adapt it to whatever.

sootman73

Reaction score
ya a ford tech told me why the powersteering boxes leak. the shaft gets pitted quite easily and then the oring doesn't do much after that. you can replace orings but it wont make a difference. doesn't mean your box is going out. i just fill mine every couple of days. some guys i know use hydraulic fluid. a little thicker and doesn't leak as fast.

npe3484

Reaction score
How tightly is the power steering reservoir cap supposed to be on? Mine feels really loose and can spin 360 degrees. I didn't get to look at it closely but it felt like there was no way that it would seal.

Any thoughts?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
How tightly is the power steering reservoir cap supposed to be on? Mine feels really loose and can spin 360 degrees. I didn't get to look at it closely but it felt like there was no way that it would seal.

Any thoughts?

Mine only turns about a quarter turn or so and there's tabs on the cap that catch on the reservoir to lock it down. Try a wrecking yard to get another cap. I guess it could be spilling out while the motor is running. Do you see a lot of fresh fluid running down the reservoir?

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your cap is either not seated all the way (there is an O-ring around it that could prevent good seating if it is out of spec), or the stop ears are warped or gone.