Just bought a 95 from out of state

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Buy it, put it in the glove box and forget about it. Ive put a combined 340k miles on three different psd's, done one cam sensor. Honestly the first thing I would do, is STOP reading about them online. Theres so much bad info and horror stories online thats its almost pointless. Just get it drive it, see if its got any problems and go from there. They ARENT complicated or hard to work on, most people who think they are, are scared of change and hold onto the past for dear life. My 2 cents.

X2 on this. ;Really

Once you get use to a PSD you will find them easy to work on. You might run into a stumper, but with a little thinking or cheating with a scanner you will figure it out.:D

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I like power strokes lol had about 10 or so now heck got 3 in the drive right now , not counting the 6.0
if ya have any issues or questions, drop me a line an ill be glad to help.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bud,
I really appreciate it. Hope you and the family are doing great. I'll keep all posted. According to the carrier it should be here by the weekend. Hoping those low resolution pictures were telling the whole truth :) Fingers crossed. Life is good. Talk to you soon, Doug

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
184k on mine aside from basic maintenance I have replaced the vacuum pump and IPR valve....thats it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Did she come in yet?
One other thing I would either replace or carry for spares, the return fuel lines that comes from the heads to the fpr.
I had to have mine made at orielly, and the idiot didn't do it to my liking.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2001 PSD since February this year. Its been all over the place, and worked hard, it doesn't care and keeps on going. I love how it doesn't run out of breath like my IDI did. Everyone I have talked to raves about how reliable they are. Its the ones who want endless power out of them or don't maintain them that usually have the problems. The biggest thing mine has needed so far is a water pump. Changing that was stupid easy, I fought longer with the stupid spring hose clamps and the fan clutch install than anything else.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Tuesday evening it arrived...... I guess low resolution pictures and movies don't lie. It is rough. A lot rougher than I thought a truck could be with only 155,000. As much as I didn't want another project, I think it just arrived. Positives are it has no rust which is really something that was important. It has evidence of past bodywork, which can be fixed. It appears as if it is mechanically solid. At first glance. The interior, well, they had a dog. It appears the dog wanted to get out, a lot. Scratch marks on almost anything that could be scratched. Plastic and fabric are on the list of things that need to be replaced. The interior scavenger hunt begins.
The good news is my daughter loves it. She has her learners and has been driving it around and doing a great job. I may have lost my truck :)
All in all it will be okay. My dad used to always tell me that you can't polish a ****, but I try. I'll try and post some picks soon. Thanks to all for sharing this great adventure. Doug

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall, it runs well. The characteristics of this engine make it feel a little underpowered when your just putting around, but it springs to life with a little peddle. Pulls very strong. Extremely impressed how it can move a four ton truck. She lights right up when the WTS light goes out. A little lopey (if that is a word) for the first five seconds or so. Acts like an air leak in an IDI return line, but settles right out.
It's a noisy beast. I thought the IDI was loud but this might have it beat. always sounds advanced. I need to sit next to one and compare, but she is a good runner.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some are just a little lopey like that.(when below freezing) Or could be time for a oil change.
But unless it's cold where you are, it may be something to check out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once its warm and youve been driving it a while, does it still do the same lope when its got no load on it, like when you pull in somewhere and either put it in park or stop and let the clutch out?

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through all the same feelings when my 94 was totaled by a drunk. Found a super clean 97 that was identical and bit the bullet.

The IDI was easier to work on and being all mechanical always felt reassuring. Took me about 2 months of daily driving before a had that same feeling with my PSD. The IDI was much quicker but the PSD is much stronger. It's especially noticeable with the 5-speed, the PSD is a slug to about 1800 RPM.

I'm getting slightly better mileage out of the PSD (20 vs 19). The most beneficial thing I did was check and clean the fuel pressure regulator srceen when I changed the fuel filter for the 1st time. It was probably about 60% plugged with a black rubbery looking plug that actually fell off when I popped the regulator out. At first I thought the screen was nice and clean and then I saw it laying in the hole in front of the regulator screen. That was with 170k on the ODO. My son just cleaned his at 250k and it was very thick. Cleaning it was easy (2 - 10mm bolts) and fixed both of our loppy idles.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black gunk yall pulled out of the regulator screen is chunks of injector orings.

Wanna slap the idi in the ass with the psd?3" downpipe,dump the cat,4" exhaust,10k mod and modded idm,shim the fuel pressure regulator with a BB.

Youll wonder why you ever messed with the idi.