Just bought a 95 from out of state

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of a weird feeling. I'm in Maryland and my new toy is in Colorado. A lot of pictures and they did a video walk around. Nice solid rust free truck with 155,000. It has the extended cab and 4x4 which it was I was trying to find. Looked for around three months to find a '94 with the ATS and an IDI but nothing turned up that was reasonably priced. I really think I had found the end of the internet. It's too late now, but the Powerstroke kind of scares me. I'm used to the simplicity of the IDI's and all the sensors have me doing a lot of research trying to figure out what all these letters mean. It has a S&B air box, I love stock and would like to find a stock box, but time will tell. It will be here in a week or so. Sooo, can any body tell me the good things about this engine? I'm going to stop reading about all the problems and find the "good things". Thanks guys, Doug

'86 F250 6.9 4x4 with a way too big Moose pump for stock
'89 E250 7.3 currently been sitting too long to be viable
'94 E350 7.3 Born Free RV soon to be a camper....someday

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can read all day and night long about people having problems.
Know how many I've had with mine? None.
Changed the fuel pump, which was needed.
Swapped the CPS so I could have a spare.
Swapped the ICP because I thought it was bad, new one was junk, so I put the old one back in.
Stick to ford parts, far as sensors go.
I wouldn't put a stock box back on. Most are junk.
Keep the S&B or do the 6637.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The 6637 is one big filter. I'll leave everything as it is till I get my feet wet with all these sensors and computers. Just more stuff to learn. Thanks again, D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only major issue is the cam sensor.keep a spare with 10mm wrench in the glovebox.they arent as bad as people make them sound.you dont have to own a scanner to work on it.most of the issues with them have been covered and can be found on www.superdutydiesel.com .

After driving it for a few weeks youll be wondering why you ever messed with the idi.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving it for a few weeks youll be wondering why you ever messed with the idi.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I still can't help feeling like I'm cheating on her.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not that it makes much difference, but the idi makes torque down lower, have to wind the psd up just a bit.
But I can't say I miss my idi.
I miss my 6.2 gm idi because it was a real fuel sipper. Just gotta find a new truck to put it in.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything said already, especially wondering why you messed with an idi. If you like stock it will run forever, and if you feel you need more power, it"ll actually make power unlike the idi. Mines been VERY VERY reliable in the 106k miles ive owned it (208k now).

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Feeling much better. It's getting loaded on a carrier as early as tomorrow. They speculate anywhere from a week to ten days. Apparently there are a lot of stops along the way. It's all good. I'll keep ya posted, D

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the S&B intake. I would say a good number of the stock air boxes on 7.3L's are replaced with something else because they are poorly designed and often found to be leaking dirt or broken. Many of them are left un-remedied and are the result of a lot of dusted engines out there. S&B makes a very nice product. Probably the nicest on the market and the filtration of there filter elements is actually quite good.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WW, The service manager at the dealer where I bought the truck felt similar. No reason to go back to stock, just make sure you keep the filter clean. He said he has seen too many come through with packed air filters. Dirt was getting past and dusting the turbo. I guess, maintenance is always the key.
The beast is in transit! Arrival is sometime next week. Not sure if you know Faricy Ford in Canon City, CO. Seem like a great team. I felt like they took good care of me. I will let you know how I feel when the truck arrives. Thanks for the filter advice. Enjoy your forth, Doug

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Here's what a factory air box does to a turbo. Lol
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too late now, but the Powerstroke kind of scares me.

I coveted my neighbor's truck for years until the day I bought it and drove it into my driveway. My first thought was "what the heck did I just do, I don't know anything about these!" And just as others have suggested, I will repeat, buy a CPS from Ford and swap it in before you even put fuel in it. This will familiarize you with the process (really rather simple), it will identify the tools needed (a 10mm socket, short extension and ratchet) so you can keep them in the glovebox (under the seat, wherever) and you will be pulling out a CPS known to be good for a spare. Ford CPSs eventually fail, and though rare, a new one can be bad. The chances of the CPS from the closest parts store being bad out of the box or failing very soon are high.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so, after spending probably two hours reading multiple articles on the CPS I ordered one that is dark grey with a blue O-ring. My head started to hurt with all the colors and model numbers that seem to make cylinders 3 and 8 cranky. Especially cylinder 8. I'll put the wrench and socket in the first aid kit :) I totally understand the "what the heck did I do" feeling. IDI's are so simple. One wire and it runs. I guess it's time to use the brain again and learn something new. No plans on changing her from stock so I hope that will keep things a little less complicated. Also ordered some fuel filters. Change that and the oil and I will be at a good starting point. The transmission is another concern, but one thing at a time......

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy it, put it in the glove box and forget about it. Ive put a combined 340k miles on three different psd's, done one cam sensor. Honestly the first thing I would do, is STOP reading about them online. Theres so much bad info and horror stories online thats its almost pointless. Just get it drive it, see if its got any problems and go from there. They ARENT complicated or hard to work on, most people who think they are, are scared of change and hold onto the past for dear life. My 2 cents.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Exactly.
My truck was at about 200,000 when I changed mine. Pretty sure it was factory. And my old one wasn't bad, just wanted to see if it would run different, and have a spare.