Just a lil' gloating

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
They must have kept it in a garage if it had 386k on it. Looks emaculate! Hows the interior?

Not too bad. It looks as is someone either smoked an awful lot or was just messy. It has sat for long enough that if it was a smoker I can't smell it. But the ashtray is pretty clean though. After I get it running it is going to have a date with the detailer.;Sweet

*A little side note* If you plan to leave a car/truck sitting for a while, it is a good idea to button the valve cover back on. I checked the oil to see if it was full.......yup, it is. 15 qts. of rainwater to the mark.:D

I'll post pics of the oil pan when I get it off.:sly

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
hopefully that water didnt play havoc with any other internals.

In the past I've had this happen. I bought a motorcycle from a guy who left it out in the rain, It made a mess of the oil and was *fun* cleaning it up but the oil sealed the oxygen off from the water and they were in pristine condition. So I am pretty confident in it.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
On a side note, does anyone know the thread on the glow plugs? I want to make an adapter to hook up the leak down tester.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Well I got the motor out and the pan off. AND....... It was near perfect!;Sweet
You must be registered for see images attach
The skirts on the pistons have NO wear marks at all. The inside of the pistons are shiny as new.

I got to looking and I firmly believe that the PO had done a long block swap but scrimped on the goop when it came to sealing up the oil pan. And forgot to tighten the valve covers too.

As far as the clutch it looks like new, so I couldn't bring myself to tear everything else down just to satisfy a curiosity.

From what I've been reading these motors start shutting down injectors when the oil gets low. (PO said the injectors were shot) Sooooooo hopefully all I'll have to do is get everything sealed back up properly and give the starter a twist.

I am doing a bit of PM on it before I stuff it back in the chassis. The Y pipe has quite a leak and the back of the block looks awful.
You must be registered for see images attach

The down pipe is leaking so bad that it turned the trans black.

Does anyone have the wiring harness that hooks to the drivers side injectors? This bit was cutoff for some dumba$$ reason.:dunno I need it to go all the way back to the main harness. I would appreciate it, the salvage yards around here are quite bare of these trucks.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you could have skipped pulling it and just filled it with fresh oil with maybe 2 quarts replaced with ATF or Marvel, run it a bit and then change with new oil again.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you could have skipped pulling it and just filled it with fresh oil with maybe 2 quarts replaced with ATF or Marvel, run it a bit and then change with new oil again.

Prolly so, but I don't have that kind of luck. :) I still had to do something about the terrible pan and exhaust leaks. I'd rather be over cautious than have it bite me, that usually cost twice as much.LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only in the south can you get a truck that looks that new that's that worn out. :rolleyes:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the wiring harness that hooks to the drivers side injectors? This bit was cutoff for some dumba$$ reason.:dunno I need it to go all the way back to the main harness. I would appreciate it, the salvage yards around here are quite bare of these trucks.

If you can't find one down there contact Marsh Auto Parts Call the truck yard number. It's a huge yard and they have a lot of the 250 - 450 OBS trucks there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The threads for the glow plugs is 10x1.25 MM. You can actually use 1/8" pipe , it will go in about 4-5 threads and will not harm the block threads, even tho I have a fitting for compression check I use the pipe for an extension, works great.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
The threads for the glow plugs is 10x1.25 MM. You can actually use 1/8" pipe , it will go in about 4-5 threads and will not harm the block threads, even tho I have a fitting for compression check I use the pipe for an extension, works great.

I hadn't checked my e-mail to not your post but thanks anyhow. I am already in the process of making it ready to start going back together. It is being fun with having to double check everything that someone else did, resealing the entire exhaust, retorqing the injectors etc... Sooooo tomorrow the motor is going back in the frame with the new harness and hoses. Hopefully I will get to hear it make some noise tomorrow.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoops, the GP threads are 10X1.0 MM. Sorry, double it checked yesterday.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Hoping for some smoke tomorrow

Yup, I have nearly tapped out my mad money to get this project on the road. I am hoping to get it lit tomorrow.:sly Just wondering if anyone has heard a problem with the oil pump losing prime from sitting too long? The only reason I ask is because I had a car sit for a while without oil in the pan, and when I refilled the motor it wouldn't pull it up. Also what is the best air filter to use on these motors? Advance suggested a K&N, granted it would pay for itself by the time the second disposable one is spent but I've heard bad things too. Is it just wives tales or not.

Thanks again