New ride need a lil Help

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been a lOng time idi man. Well i'm a logger so I get to see all the sweet treasures. Every old man has hiding out in his woods. Today I came accross a 1984 6.9 f250 reg long bed 4x4 4speed **** black. This truck is amazing shape besides Paint need buff in a few areas any ways I talked to the owner he bought the truck brand new for a ford dealer in organ ( now in north west Arkansas ) the truck had been to Alaska 10 times. Well on his last trip in 95 the motor locked up. So he had it completely rebuilt new from top to bottom he said he gave 5000 grand for the build. So my ? Is the truck say for around 6 years and today I started it ( lil eather help) smoked a lil but really not to bad he said ther was maybe 400 miles on rebuild. So what should I do to ensure this truck is broke in correctly I pulled it on my trailer hauled it home put 10 gallons of diesel in it and new fuel filter and I let it idle for around 20 mins did fine drive it in 1st around the yard but all seemed fine is there any thing iam missing ?

P.S best part of the deal I got some sweet mods from back in the day pics will be up soon

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Usuallu you drive it like you stole it as far as breaking a diesel in goes. It having sat for an extended amount of time certainly throws a curve ball out there. I would start by checking the glow plugs and getting it to start properly without either. You put a new fuel filter on, I would add some treatment to the fuel, at least some ATF or 2 stroke premix oil to add lubricity for the ip and injectors. Definitely an oil change and coolant flush/change.

Once a couple of test drives are out of the way, I would run 'er hard.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
I added 1 gallon of used ATF not sure if it matters eather way but just flushed the coolnt looked great but have to wait for oil till tomarrow but I just looke in the tool box had to busy the lock and I found a ats turbo set up all new in plastic has to be from at lest 95 maybe newer no date on box and no instructions. But looks great also is it worth the extra Qt of oil for the power stroke filter ?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The IDI filter is being phased out, at least at Walmart.:rolleyes: The PSD filter had a better micron rating, holds a bit more oil, and basically has no drawback that I'm aware of.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go on that idi find sir! Sounds like you got yourself a darn good and solid truck. An oil change is a must with an engine that has been sitting around for a while. As for the extended idling goes, try not to idle it for extended periods of time. Diesel engines tend to have issues with cylinder washing when idling too long. This means the fuel injected into the engine washes the oil film from the cylinder and will eventually cause mechanical issues. When a diesel idles, it does not create enough heat to complete the fuel burn thus causing cylinder washing. Other than that, check all the fluids and make sure the air filter is good. Also check those brakes! They have been sitting for a while and might need to be checked for yours and others safety. Good luck

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
Dose that go ffor the newer diesel also I always see PSD and cummins idleing all the time?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If equipped with a high idle switch, it is normally fine for diesels. My dads old duramax truck had a fast idle button. It was a truck that came from Canada so it was especially needed there and the PO installed it. It is just best not to idle diesel engines for an extended period of time unless there is a high idle.