junkyard idi

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local truck junkyard has a couple idi's in there lot. I'm gonna see if I can trade my old chebbie :puke: that I dumped to much money in, for one of the engines. What all should I check when picking one of the engines out? I'm gonna check to see if it is seized, also am gonna check the dipstick for rust. I basically just want an engine to tear down and and tinker with without loosing my daily driver. Anything else I should specifically check? I'm not as worried getting one from this place because you must put the hoods back down on vehicles you look at. If they catch you leaving the hoods up you get an @ss chewin and are not allowed back. So most of the engines there are in decent shape, and its a nice lot.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, make sure it's not Obamacised with the crap poured into it so it's toast

I was going to say make sure it didn't come in on cash for clunkers where they had to destroy the engine. Otherwise the more you can check the better, but in the field you might be limited to does it have a hole in the block or obvios giant leaks? If you're real lucky you might get to try to start it and see if it runs. All depends on what your yard allows and what you can grab off the shelf at home in a hurry.