Jump starting with dual batteries.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'm trying to purge my lines after turning up the IP. I have killed the batteries cranking it over. I am doing the 30 seconds 2 minutes apart intervals. It's currently on the charger but I feel a jump may get things moving quicker since I wont have to wait 20-30 minutes to charge. I am missing the supplemental 7.3 owners guide that gives me the specifics. All I know is the driver side battery says not to jump from there. How do you jump start these things. This is my first diesel and my first dual battery vehicle and I dont want to fry anything. I'm supposed to leave to meet my wife, and shes getting annoyed right now.:backoff

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just jump off the pass side battery. It's usually easier to get to. I've done it this way for years and never fried anything. Good luck.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just pull it in gear, we use to do that to the old 6.9s that we ran in Michigan. The dang things wouldnt reprime when run out of fuel so we just tied to another truck and pulled it down the road.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The batteries in these trucks are connected parallel, as in HOT always to HOT, NEG always to NEG.

One, two, three, or two-dozen batteries connected parallel as these are will only ever have the required 12-volts or thereabouts.

It makes absolutely no difference which battery you connect the jumper-cables to, so long as you connect POSITIVE to POSITIVE and NEGATIVE to NEGATIVE.

Where you can get into trouble is when batteries are connected in SERIES, just like the stack of batteries in a flashlight, POSITIVE to NEGATIVE, etc., etc.

When connected in SERIES, the voltage of each battery is added for total voltage and you had better know your business when jumping them.

That being said, if your two batteries won't hold up long enough for a mere air-purging, you had better go battery shopping; I recommend Group-31S.;Sweet

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My batteries are about due for replacement. They do just fine in the warm weather right now but I plan on changing them when the weather gets cold.

The way it's set up I dont see how it would matter which battery I jumped at, but I figured it was better to ask how to do something first than ask how to fix something later. Thanks guys.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the power cable to the starter is on the pass side and that is why they want you to jump there, less footage for the electrons to escape.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My batteries are about due for replacement. They do just fine in the warm weather right now but I plan on changing them when the weather gets cold.

The way it's set up I dont see how it would matter which battery I jumped at, but I figured it was better to ask how to do something first than ask how to fix something later. Thanks guys.

Like typ4 said, it's better to jump off of the pass. side. BTW be prepared to put a starter in it soon. Low voltage to the starter will shorten it's life span very quickly. BTDT:oops:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing everyone seemed to miss - it's a 15-second crank and 2-minute wait cycle, not 30-second crank. After messing with the IP my lines are purged within just one cycle like that, two cycles fill up my heat exchanger and my primary filter. If the system is totally dry it takes me three cycles to fill up the heat exchanger, the two filters, and the IP, tho I always prefill the secondary filter to make it easier (no point in prefilling the primary filter since the air from the heat exchanger will empty it all out first anyways). I'm saying all this cause if you loosened the injector lines at the injectors you should have been able to purge all the air from the IP on your first cranking cycle, and I have a concern that maybe your lift pump is getting tired and not supplying as much fuel as it should be?

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of batteries, call or go to the Interstate distributer [not the dealer] and ask about their 'Econo" line. I have used their deep cycle batteries in golf carts and regular ones in my cars for a long time, few failures, but they always warrantied them and for the asking price I could not complain even if they did not replace them. As some dealers say,...."Prices are too low to publish!"

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I figured out why I had to crank it so much, I forgot to plug the fuel shutoff solenoid back in. :oops:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
The best way i've ever jumped the truck before is with another diesel. 2 sets of cables, battery to battery.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we are discussing jump-starting, it is IMPERATIVE that one has a GOOD set of jumper-cables, the kind that requires you squeeze with both hands to open the jaws, and with big fat cable.

The little feminine set that was barely sufficient for starting ***-wagons ain't gonna cut it on these engines.:backoff

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
While we are discussing jump-starting, it is IMPERATIVE that one has a GOOD set of jumper-cables, the kind that requires you squeeze with both hands to open the jaws, and with big fat cable.

The little feminine set that was barely sufficient for starting ***-wagons ain't gonna cut it on these engines.:backoff

I'm covered there, last year for my birthday I asked my parents for the biggest set of jumper cables they could find. I threw my dinky cables in the back of my wifes jeep.