john deere powered ford?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i know i seen something like this on here just a while ago, but i can't find it. I wanted to know how hard it would be to put a john deere or any "tractor" diesel in an old ford truck, like 80's or even 70's. I just want a project for the summer, and think it would be really cool. I know you guys would know if it would work and how well it would work. Any pros and cons? any info is much appreciated :)
Nathan

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i know they are on youtube i will have to search them out. i do remember a couple of key points
1. they got the diesel engines from a combine or something like that where they were mated to a Ford transmission so there adapters were there from the get go.
2.they also said that you should get at least a 4 cyl. apperently the 3 cyl had to much vibration to make it into the smooth running catagory for a vehicle.

i am not sure they were big enough engines they kept saying they could go 100 mph but i would like to see how fast a 0-60 time was to get a better idea for drivability. i dont need a 4 sec truck but i dont want a road hazard with my kids in it. i know they were messing with adding turbo's to get more out of the trucks.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked on Youtube, but i have only found an old dodge and that was just showing the truck. nothing about the install. Im not the best "youtuber" though lol. Where would be a good place to find a combine diesel? i wouldn't have the slightest idea where to find one. So a 4020 diesel wouldn't work? im not sure how big that one is, it is just one that i know of lol.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the sound of the tractor engines. Esp john deere. Idk, i just wanted a fun project and something that not everyone has had :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FARM SHOW magazine often has various Chevys, Dodges, and Fords that have had John Deere transplants, also Case and I-H.

I have a neighbor that has a 1977 F-150 that has the engine from his 430 CASE tractor transplanted in it; he gets way more than 50-MPG.

I have seen several older classic cars and trucks that have Massey-Ferguson/PERKINS engines.

A local tractor-puller has built several Allis-Chalmers powered pick-ups and 1-tons.

The 6BT Cummins was being used in combines, tractors, log skidders, and as saw-mill power-units LONG before ever being used in a highway vehicle.

Any of the bigger 6-cylinder diesels, J-D, I-H, CASE, or PERKINS make good transplant candidates that are capable of doing anything the 6BT is capable of.

The limiting factor of most agricultural engines is the type of injector-pump used.

Retrofit a Bosch VE onto them and they will begin to show their real potential. ;Sweet

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being different most of the time is cool but usually the project doesn't get done because of cost or getting irritated over the little added BS involved. I would never say dont do because I have been there and The end result is something that you can say you built and its the only one like it.;Sweet

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at just buying an old truck, and swapping motors. change a few things and possibly a tran if i have to. But is that way out of the ball park? does swapping a tractor motor involve many different mods??

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tractor engines have heavy duty style bell housings like industrial applications and You cant mount most automotive style transmissions. I see a lot of custom adapters made to go behind odd ball engines and they usually are $1000-$2000.

plowboy444

Reaction score
I have always wondered about doing something like this, everything is possible with enough time and money. :sly
We have 3 tractors at work with deere's 466 engines in them, they have some model of bosche's p-pump in them, seems like it would be easy to make big power. The are BIG motors, but they don't look quite as big as the DT-466.
You would have to rig up a totally different mount system as most tractor engines mount at the four corners not in the middle like our IDIs.
I wonder if you could get a sae bell to work....?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I have always wondered about doing something like this, everything is possible with enough time and money. :sly
We have 3 tractors at work with deere's 466 engines in them, they have some model of bosche's p-pump in them, seems like it would be easy to make big power. The are BIG motors, but they don't look quite as big as the DT-466.
You would have to rig up a totally different mount system as most tractor engines mount at the four corners not in the middle like our IDIs.

If you're going through that you may as well go DT466. They're tried and true, been proven time and time again, look at the tractor pull circuit, for every 8 DT466 powered harvesters there's 2 green boogers with the JD466....yet the red power outpulls (and out lasts) them everytime! Its a no brainer in my opinion, but what do I know!cookoo

-Jon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a guy in NY I think that has repowered his '86 F250 with a JD 466. It is just as huge at the IH DT466. Firewall was cut out to fit the engine. He's running a Spicer 5 speed manual transmission (direct not od). A stock Dana 60 and a stock (expect for welded spiders in the diff) Dodge Dana 70/80 hybrid axle. He does truck pulling with it. It is called "Buck'n Around". His myspace is (I think) www.myspace.com/arctic570. There are photos of the build there.

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
A stock Dana 60 and a stock (expect for welded spiders in the diff) Dodge Dana 70/80 hybrid axle. He does truck pulling with it. It is called "Buck'n Around". Heath

wait wait wait...a 60 and 70 is all?? cookoo is it just a "show smoker" or does it actually put down some power? that's my biggest concern when i build my DT466 puller...

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online