Its the small things

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok today is the first time in 8 months that my truck has been more than 10 miles. Today I went out fired up the truck put in 5 gal of wmo took it for a drive. I ran it about 45 miles in 100 degree weather. While driving all seemed fine, upon getting home I shut the truck down and went to disconnect the batts( I have a short) I noticed pressurized rad hoses and small hissing from radiator cap. I have a 13 pound cap but do not know its age or anything, any thoughts?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought is that the truck may have overheated. What are your temp readings? And was your reservoir full of hot coolant?

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gauge stayed below the half way point on gauge and res was full of warm water?, I was thinking maybe thermostat didn't
open?

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving empty, could it be that empty doing 60 mph on the highway with 4-10 and c6 I never was warm enough for t-stat to need to open?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Ok today is the first time in 8 months that my truck has been more than 10 miles. Today I went out fired up the truck put in 5 gal of wmo took it for a drive. I ran it about 45 miles in 100 degree weather. While driving all seemed fine, upon getting home I shut the truck down and went to disconnect the batts( I have a short) I noticed pressurized rad hoses and small hissing from radiator cap. I have a 13 pound cap but do not know its age or anything, any thoughts?

if you just directly shut it down,,that will happen,,as the engine is still hot,,and pressure will build for a while..if while its running,,it doesnt do this,,your ok..the old wd45 allis diesel,,the company warned you,,to let the tractor cool down first,,before you shut it off..if you didnt,,you risked cracking the head, and cracking the block.. metallury then,,aint what it is now....also all turbo vehicles,,should have a short cool down period also,,so you dont coke the oil in the turbo bearings...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it does not sound like a big deal really, what sort of shape is the seal on your cap in?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
it does not sound like a big deal really, what sort of shape is the seal on your cap in?

This is my question too. A shut down engine will heat up about 10 or 15 degrees. Find another radiator cap and try that one. Even if you need to buy one its the cheapest thing to find out whats going on. It really sounds like the cap is bad because the design is to allow coolant and pressure to reach the recovery tanks. Then as the coolant cools and shrinks in volume it gets sucked back into the radiator. Sometimes the pressure is enough to force the coolant into the recovery tank bu the hose has a plugged or restriction so it can't suck it back. A loose fitting at the radiator neck will cause a suction leak but not a fluid leak too. then it can't suck the coolant back into the radiator. Seen that a few times too.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be trying a new rad cap. I know the question is silly but it was something I have never encountered. Next weekend the truck is making a run to Tucson and back to phx.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Wouldn't call that question silly at all, Will. Finding that going on under my hood would worry me, for sure. Better to ask about it here than suffer a worse problem on your next drive.

As many have said here, it's almost impossible to have a situation that someone on this forum hasn't had before.

A fine group of IDI lovers here, with experiences and knowledge freely shared.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
made my first somewhat long run this weekend, I ran about 300 miles round trip. I made a runt o a farm sw of tucson, I had a small load going down and empty coming back. I found a few problems, nothing big except when running down the freeway if I let off of the gas peddle fast the truck dies, Im figuring that its sucking air because if fired right back up the three times did it. when I let off gas slowly all was good. I averaged 17 mpg@60, with the c6 and a screwed tach i ran easy using my phone/spedo.

the plan for this motor is to install it into mu 67 chevy 1ton, I need figure which trans I wast to go with, I want a manual but I also want a non hydraulic clutch can I mount my chevy265 via a special bellhousing or how difficult would a t19 to match to my peddle assembly

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me the only time the truck died is when I was doing 60 and completely let off of gas peddle, to coast on to a exit ramp. thats why I was thinking on deceleration the motor could be sucking air through a cracked rubber line or something?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you would me much more likely to be sucking air under hard acceloration, been there done that.

of coarse if you have a GAS pedal that could be a problem to, these truck run much better on a diesel mix;Poke:D