It's gettin a little chilly, 22f

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been searching and searching,maybe I'm not using the right search term,but I'm trying to find out the best transfer case, trans (c-6), rear diff,front diff,oil, oil filter, fuel additive and grease for my truck. What do I go synthetic with (if not all) and has anybody used a napa block heater (1000w)? what I'm tyring to do here is keep the truck in good order , I also have some questions about abandoned plugs I have found under the hood but I have no pictures yet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans take Dextron/Mercon III fluid, synthetic is good if she don't leak. Axles, well synthetic gear oil there will help fuel economy when real cold and also longevity, as regular gear oil at or freezing temperatures turns into molasses. Transfer case IIRC takes the same ATF the trans does, someone correct me on thins if I'm wrong. Engine oil, I personally wouldn't run synthetic there, as at least my engines eats some of it so it would be expensive to keep up with, however you may want to consider switching over to 5w40 diesel oil for easier cold starts - I'm actually having a bear of a time finding that, anyone got leads on that? For oil filter use Motorcraft FL-1995A, this is for the 7.3 Powerstroke engines but it spins onto our engines too and filters better and holds more oil than IDI-specific filters. Grease, I assume you mean wheel bearing grease, I've been using synthetic Valvoline grease for years, slightly more expensive than regular grease but IMHO it's a cheap insurance.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only wheel bearing grease (when I have the chance to take her apart) but grease for the steering, driveshafts, U-joints and wherever else I can find a fitting. Also how much ATF does the transfer case take as well as the rear and front? Where can I look this up?? Thanks again

maddenji

Reaction score
According to my Haynes manual
X Case 1356 2 qts
front diff 3.6-4.0 pts
rear danas 6-6.5 pts
JIm

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MLSC I'm running Ambra 15w40. This can be bought at your local new holland tractor dealer. Ambra has the api (I think those are the right letters) rating the Mel swears by, not really just the rating he recomended. Anyway, its been in the teens here in NE Oklahoma the past couple of mornings and I've had good starts. The squirrel mobile is still running one battery and no GPs. Gotta keep her plugged in but she starts pretty good.