IT'S ALIVE!!!!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poured oil in, coolant into the rad, bled the fuel system(glow plugs out) and then hit the key. It fired up on about the 3rd piston to the top. Bump and grind for a few secs, then smoothed out and purred.

Everything seems to be fine so far, I only ran it till the high idle kicked down, and then shut it off and packed up my tools and came in for supper. Nothing leaking anywhere.

I'm too nervous to actually drive it anywhere for now, and me and the MRS. are heading up to the cottage for the weekend, so I figured I'd just leave it at that, and not spend the weekend screwing around with it and worrying. I can do that next week.

Just thought you guys might like to know.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive thoughts, crossed fingers/prayers, and suggestions along the way, and all your support.

Hopefully it continues to run well, now, I get to have the "new engine anxiety"

Thanks again guys...

Zigg :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So very glad to hear its alive again. Its also neat to get away, just don't think about the what-ifs. It will wait for you till you can get back home. Anyway things are just fine with your motor. You can only have so much bad luck. Then it changes to nothing but good luck. Just how it goes.....

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet Have a great weekend Zigg and I promise to keep Murphy busy busting my knuckles and breaking stuff this weekend.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I came back Saturday evening, and took the truck about 1/2 mi to the gas station and put $20 bucks fuel in 'er. When I came back, I popped the hood and looked into the overflow, and guess what. Lots of bubbles coming up.

Shoot. I nearly puked right there.

So, I walked away for about an hour. Then jumped in and took it for another run, this time up/over a local hill about 1,000ft straight up and then back down, about 10mi overall. Came home and looked again, and lo and behold no bubbles. This afternoon, I drove it again for about 1/2 hour all over the city, and when I came home, looked again, and no bubbles.

so, maybe, maybe....

Time will tell.

I hate this part.

(sigh)

Zigg :)

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you may have had air trapped in the cooling system. have you topped off your coolant? good luck

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like some air working its way out, i wouldent sound the alarm yet.

congradulations on getting it all buttoned back up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats just the trapped air working its way out of the system. The only real way to get all the air out when you refill the system is by using the vacuum type coolant recharge systems out on the market. I saw one used on my wifes Honda Civic. That radiator suction line has to flow up and over the trans then completely down the back side of the motor and up into the pump that is driven by the timing belt..... A really sucky idea... Hang in there. You will be fine. Time will show you this. You didn't do anything wrong on the gasket replacement and you don't have any cracks...;Sweet

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems! You are due some good luck! and it is good to hear it is looking good so far. Work the air out. It sounds better than last time by far!

Way to go!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my projects(head gaskets, thermostatX2, water pump, oil cooler) it usually took about a week. Drive it fill up the overflow, repeat, and it would level out in 4-7 days, maybe sooner, but you can count on having to fill it once or twice before things even out.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it out on the hwy today for about 10 miles. Ran it up to 65mph a couple times, and romped on it a couple times. I didn't want to stay on the pedal too much, 'cause It's turbo pump and G-code injectors on there, and I've no pyro, so I could get it up pretty hot. Just purred like a kitten. Maybe a bit advanced, but nice and smooth, gobs of power, and just a nice light trail of black smoke when gettin' on it.
Anyway, after about 45 min, pulled into the yard, let 'er idle, and no bubbles.

Starting to look good...

:)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, now we're talking. Take it to work a couple days and if it still looks good, its time to slap that turbo on and get it timed with tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online