It started right up!

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy! I'm so excited! My truck started right up!

I did the electrical fuel pump mod with Eric today. The install went well and we didn't have to hard of a job. We got it all done, switched on the key and the pump turned on, and instantly primed the system. Then i cranked it over and it started right up.

I've got one small leak in my fittings where the old fuel pump bypass is, but I'm fixing that tomorrow.

I would recommend doing this mod to anybody who has air leaking problems. oh yea, and i took my truck for a quick ride as well and it performs much better.

Thanks so much Eric for the help today. it was great meeting you also. and thanks everybody here in the forums who helped give me help, feedback, and ideas about doing this project.

edit: I'm also going to be writing up an article to do this mod complete with pictures and a diagram.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're more than welcome Tyler; thankyou for letting me wrench on your truck! ;Sweet I'm glad the test drive went well, I was wondering about that...if it hadn't been getting late I woulda liked to have hung around to take the maiden voyage with yah.
Yah she started up a whole lot easier that I thought it would with all the cutting into the fuel system. We even switched over to the newer NAPA fuel filter! I'm impressed with the electric fuel pump also - I'm not gonna temp Murphy but when he comes visiting I'll definately do this mod.
Thanks to Mel too for the tips...HUGE idea to take the metal fuel line to the store to get fittings!!! Definate time saver!! :thumbsup:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are the Man Eric :thumbsup: . That electric pump mode is the best, I could not think of going back to the mech pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it went smooth for you. I'll look forward to getting the write up and pics. It will make a fine addition to our technical library. ;Sweet

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, today i drove the truck up real quick to Target to do a little Christmas shopping. This is before i tried to fix my mechanical pump bypass leak. I was in the store for maybe 15 minutes, come out and there is a puddle of fuel under my bypass. I start up, take a look and its a stream of fuel coming out of the bypass.

So, when i got home, i went underneath and pulled it apart and put a new compression sleeve in where the metal input to the filter connects and put some Teflon tape on that end since i forgot to last night. It now only drip leaks again. So, i think i may go back to the hardware store and find something better than compression sleeves to hold the metal pipe in, or just cut the metal pipe and slide the rubber hose on the end. While trying to fix it this afternoon for a half hour I got more diesel all over me than when we did the entire project yesterday.

So, i'll fix the leak soon, but except for that i'm still very happy.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the fuel leak. I just went ahead and hacked off the end of the input pipe. But now, the cover that i placed over the old fuel pump isn't on quite right and its leaking pretty good. So i'll pull that off, get rid of the crappy cork gasket and just use some liquid sealant around the edge to seal it. kinda like the plate below the oil filler neck. So Eric, can i borrow your sealant again?

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i still have a tiny drip leak, i think i am going to get the liquid gasket and scrap the cork one. its dripping out the bottom of the plate.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
yea, i still have a tiny drip leak, i think i am going to get the liquid gasket and scrap the cork one. its dripping out the bottom of the plate.

Get a tube of Permatex Ultra Gray, scrape off the gasket surfaces, wipe them down with solvent, I like brake clean, put a bead on the plate and let it sit a few minutes, bolt it up. I like to give it a little time to cure as well without getting basted in oil! :) Usually if you can give it an hour to fully cure is good, more time is better in my opinion, but it does cure pretty quick. OH, and make sure you put it on right side up, cause you will have to pry it off once the gray cures!

It is by far the best stuff I have used and I have put a couple hundred engines together. The right stuff also gets high marks by many on here, but it is a little more $$ for just enough to do that gasket. The Ultra Gray is like $5.00 for a tube and if you were closer, I have three or four tubes that haven't been opened, you could use mine!!! :)

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the fuel leak. I just went ahead and hacked off the end of the input pipe. But now, the cover that i placed over the old fuel pump isn't on quite right and its leaking pretty good. So i'll pull that off, get rid of the crappy cork gasket and just use some liquid sealant around the edge to seal it. kinda like the plate below the oil filler neck. So Eric, can i borrow your sealant again?

Whoa, I haven't been checking in...Yah you sure can! Put it on backwards!! cookoo :D Aw just kidding...maybe we shouldn't have kept going in the dark! :rolleyes:
Glad you're getting the leakers under control; is it just leaking from the plate now? Was that where it was leaking from all along? Maybe you could've still used the fittings? Holler at me if you need anything!

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reading thru this post i spotted changed to newer napa fuel filter, i've been looking for a alternate type of fuel filter, tell me more please.
thanks, gunnie

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eric, it was leaking fuel real bad from the fuel line with the fittings. I cranked down to much on the compression ring, and i tried putting in a new one but that just didn't work well either. but yea, my block off plate was upside down. it was leaking from the top and i could feel a gap up there with my fingers. Now, it just drips out of the bottom of the plate, like its not getting a good seal. so, i'll use some sort of goop to seal the plate.

Gunnie, the fuel filter is napa part 3617, it doesn't use the stock fuel bottom fuel filter bowl. it has its own drain valve. Which mine was leaking. You just need to transfer over your water in fuel sensor. so far, its been working well and hasn't leaked.

You must be registered for see images

The napa filter

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 more things.

1. Be sure to remove the old gasket for the mechanical pump.
2. The bolts that came out were to long with for the block off plate i was using and so were bottoming out on something. Use shorter bolts.

:) we'll see tomorrow after i change my oil if my newly sealed plate will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes