it leaks and leaks

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok my 7.3 idi always leaked a littel oil but resantly it got bad so i did the vale cover gaskets bc i know they where bad and it is still leaking and the oil pain is new and i check all the bolts and they where tight...is there any thing els to check it is comming the crossmember under than oil pain:dunno

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Best bet would be to pressure wash or degrease the bottom of the motor so you can see exactly where the oil is leaking from. If you have determined the oil is not comming from the valve cover gaskets or oil pan gasket, check your oil cooler, many times the o-rings give out and oil leaks develop in that area.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to find out exactly where the leak is coming from, you can get some UV dye similar to the stuff used for checking air conditioning systems, in fact you will need the yellow UV protective/ enhancing glasses and a UV light( you can get a cheap set for around $15-18) and you can get the dye that goes in the oil from Napa or Snap on, you will need 2 of the small bottles for an engine this size. You run it for a while, about 15 minutes or so and then shut it down and go over the thing with the UV light and it will leave a bright yellow glowing trail leading straight to the point of origin of the leak, with no more guess work ;Sweet

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't crank down on the oil pan bolts, its only going to make it worse. How many miles does your truck have? I bet it could use a rear main seal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat