ISO WTB Head to Block alignment dowels

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright my machine shop is saying I didn't have any dowels with my stuff...you guys got an extra set you may want to sell me out of an old scrap block? I need all of them! thanks I can paypal

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you tell me the diameter and the length, i can make you some.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got some I can spare if u want them pm me your address and will ship them out tomorrow ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Almost any piece of metal tube will work. Even copper tubing will work. Please do not install the heads without these alignment dowels. they align the heads but do nothing else for keeping the heads aligned during running of engine. As posted... Many Ford product engines use this same size dowel. Probably many other engine makers use the same size too.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have some, I know for a fact that pioneer makes them, they were likely stuck in the heads and they lost them. Having worked for a guy in a machine shop that always told customers "it wasnt there" , is one statement that makes me angry.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh trust me I know they were in there...cause I fought with one for a second and it was good and stuck so I left it...I wasn't doing anything with the deck so it shouldn't have mattered they were there...but I sourced some from ford via the post above with the link to the part number...getting excited been dumping money since February last year and am finally assembling it...

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if it applies to these engines but the old trick was to take old head bolts and cut the top off, barely thread in the remaining stud and use it to align the head.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
head bolts can have up to .005 slop in them, dowels, are dead nuts.
i wouldnt do any engine without dowels.
FWIW

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are tubular around 2 head bolts and are needed to accurately locate the gasket.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Choose not to use the alignment dowels and "test the waters" around the possible misaligned fire rings. Not much harder job than removing heads with the engine in the rig.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got some I can spare. Have them off a spare engine. If u want them pm me your address and will ship them out tomorrow

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Choose not to use the alignment dowels and "test the waters" around the possible misaligned fire rings. Not much harder job than removing heads with the engine in the rig.

I am (accidentally) doing exactly that. Just didn't know. Hoping that having all my studs in the head prior to putting it on may have saved me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online