Is this common?

PnrFab

Reaction score
is this common for the front core support to crack like this? appears someone has welded some angle iron and it still cracked right through it!

files are around 100k so ill make them clicky, just want your guy's opinion on why it did this and what i should do to fix it.

-josh

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the bottom, too. It may be cracked. You should be able to find one in your local salvage yard. I pretty sure LMC sells new ones.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off thats not welding... I know some may think it is but thats really bad. I have never seen the cracks before nor have I heard of them on either sites. You may have a vibration problem of some sort.

seanpistol

Reaction score
Doc said:
I'd check the bottom, too. It may be cracked. You should be able to find one in your local salvage yard. I pretty sure LMC sells new ones.

yeah, check the bottom too. mine was cracked down there below.

i thought mine might have been from when i hit someone headon. :(

tractorman86

Reaction score
i got the same thing and if you just but weld the cracks it will just find another spot to crack, i know from experitnce if you know what i am saying**nudge nudge** LOL i think i will go with a new one when i get around to it, afterall you might get another bad setup from the junkyard :puke:

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, I just plated it with the same thickness of metal angle iron and used pop rivet and it has held for 2 years even when I T-Boned 82 Lincoln Continental a year ago last January

Jim

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1988 F250 did that and has the same welded piece for the repair. I have about 5000 miles on the repair and so far everything is working ok.

akoldnav

jpw

Reaction score
Check if the body mount bushings under the cab are sagging and over loading the core support. Do the body lines on the bed and cab line up?

HTH

tractorman86

Reaction score
just my .02 i think our trucks flex too much watch the cab/bed body line next time u get a chance to run over a small hump of dirt or something with one wheel. you'll be surprised!

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck flexes probably six inches. Rollling onto a job site I once creased the lid of a toolbox because truck flexed and the box didn't. I also have a huge dent in the back of the cab where the bed hit it while driving through a ditch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk