Is this a decent HVAC vacuum pump?

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vacuum pump

I don't know about that pump . but I will tell you what I do because I can't afford a vacuum pump. Just cut into the vacuum pump on the truck. I have done it a dozen times. Just sever your vacuum hose stick the center manifold hose on you gauge set. Then start the truck gives you 15hg then fill your system. It gets you by in a pinch.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
you can make one out of an old window ac unit or fridge or something like that if you dont feel like spending the money.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I was told we needed something like that to vacuum down the AC system. I like the vacuum brake pump idea!!! How long do you have to run the truck, I've been told the system has to be under vacuum for 2 hours to be done correctly.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I really don't feel like spending the money. but don't have any old fridges or old ac units.

tknomaj

Reaction score
it maybe ok but i dont like the one piece design and aluminum. mine is a old snap-on/robin air the pieces are repairable and parts can be found

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaah, I see - I'm spoiled, I have access to a Snap-On machine, matter of fact it's pulling off a Suburban A/C right now! That said, I have no A/C in my truck, lol. Really tho, I don't know if the pump will work for you, but I can tell ya that if you have 20" or so in the system you're pretty much good to go, and a diesel vacuum pump can pull 20" easy - may take a while to get there, but it will get there.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
HAHA! Nice. I like the sound of the brake vacuum pump deal. I'm gonna do that. I don't really have the money to spend on a pump. Thanks guys!

tknomaj

Reaction score
Not to rain on parade but how are you going to keep vacuum in system and disconnect it from service port ? if you have new gauge's with closing ends that seal when removed . you could take a barbed 3/8 hose to the 3/8 fitting that fits on a/c hose and then connect it to vacuum pump and watch gauges then when vacuum level is reached disconnect from pump and connect to r-12 can and fill but will require new style hoses?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You need to pul 27" to boil the moisture out of the system, any les is just getting the air out and basicaly wasting your time and money

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This is what I got for about $50 a couple years ago. You need a decent shop compressor to run it though, but since we have 2, that wasn't a problem. Worked fine, but was a little noisy with the big thumper going all out for 1 hour.

Its nice because there are no moving parts and according to the specs, it will pull 29 in/Hg if your compressor has the CFM capacity. I think you need 5 CFM @ 90 PSI if I remember right.

I checked the vacuum on my brake booster the other day and it was only 20-22 in/Hg which I think is normal so it wouldn't be enough to be thorough.

DragRag

Reaction score
Working in the HVAC industry for 13 years I have seen a lot of pumps, but never seen a voit. I mainly deal with Robinair, J/B, yellow jacket etc. Those are some of the names we use in the trades. There are a couple others also, but those come to mind now. As stated earlier, 20" vac is not enough. I am sure 27 would work, but with a 6 cfm dual stage pump you can pull to 29.9 in about 15 minutes. A vacumm pump is one of THE most used, and important tools in my arsenal. I live and die by it basically. I personally would never consider and old refrig compressor. Yes they can pull into a vacumm, but they are not staged for a deep vacumm, and working on many refer systems commercially, they don't pull usually past about 22". Most of them have worn vallves by the time the units are decomissioned, and then they pull even less vacumm. I have pulled compressors before that did run, and the capacity was so low, that they wouldn't even pull a 5" vacumm. Buy a good pump one time in your life, it will work on your system, I use my pump on automotive R12 systems regularly. There is really not a need for an automotive machine if you know how to work the manifold set correctly. BTW, get a good manifold set to that will last you to, get a set of Richie yellow jackets. Sure I have four sets, but the first manifold set I bought back in 1996 still works for me today. I never get rid of anything like that. If you have questions let me know, I'll steer you right if I can, or at least try to anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes