Is there any hope for this 6.9L or does anyone want parts off of it?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should check the serial # on that engine. Usually it's the 7.3 that gets sleeved on one side as part of a reman. The 6.9 can be safely bored and the 7.3 usually can't.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spock1996. Love the handle.

As just Spock would say.... Fascinating...

spock1996

Reaction score
You should check the serial # on that engine. Usually it's the 7.3 that gets sleeved on one side as part of a reman. The 6.9 can be safely bored and the 7.3 usually can't.

there is a oil capasity decal on the valve cover saying 6.9l but where is the serial numbers?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
there is a oil capasity decal on the valve cover saying 6.9l but where is the serial numbers?

between the ip and the head on the drivers side stamped into the block. Should start with 6.9... or 7.3.....

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Poor engine.... May it rest in pieces... er peace. :D

Depending on who the mass engine re-builder is, usually they try to do things as cheaply as possible to have the highest return. I suppose if the price on the reman engine is vastly different from another source, I would start to wonder. Also, any rebuilder that doesn't answer questions on how he does things should also be suspect.....

So, who was this place that used this method of sleeving? Was it a big company or a localized outfit?

spock1996

Reaction score
Ouch! Poor engine.... May it rest in pieces... er peace. :D

Depending on who the mass engine re-builder is, usually they try to do things as cheaply as possible to have the highest return. I suppose if the price on the reman engine is vastly different from another source, I would start to wonder. Also, any rebuilder that doesn't answer questions on how he does things should also be suspect.....

So, who was this place that used this method of sleeving? Was it a big company or a localized outfit?

i agree with you, they probally gave the guy core price and found it was bad so why not fix it cheep and maybe it will make it past warrenty. couldnt tell ya who rebuilt it, my friend had it parked since he got it maybe for 10 years or so and who knows how long before he got it.

i bought a bbc from a guy a long time ago that did a bunch of stuff wrong on it anyways the worst thing he did is put in 30 under pistons and i didnt see it till water was coming out the exhaust, i had 1 sleeve put in by a local machinest and havent had any problems.

the 6.9 is going for scrap, i really wanna find a totaled truck complete with a powerstroke 4x2

spock1996

Reaction score
I looks like the headgasket is deformed alittle, not quite like steel on steel. it was probally just to much force when the piston got stuck and broke everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online